• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to order my new computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

I knew I could draw you in, most people never pass up the chance to forc- err share their opinions with others. Just kidding, that's only religion debates. :D

Anywho, on to the topic at hand. Yes, I'm about to order my first soon-to-be home-built computer from NewEgg, but first I'd like to get a second opinion, and third, and forth, etc... :)

Alrighty, here it is:

computer.jpg

Please no AMD propaganda.

Just some specifics to start with that I'm having trouble deciding on. Firstly, I'm not sure if I want to go with a 92mm fan for the SLK-900U and have to go through the trouble of using the screw mount method (as apparently, you can't use 92mm fans with the P4 mounting clips). Second, is the 480W Antec enough or should I just go with the 550W? Third and last, anybody know if the Megaworks 5.1 system is really any good? I'm basing my selection of it mostly on this article (read the conclusion if you just want the gist of it).

So that's it, suggestions welcome. Even if you have no suggestions, please say so, just for some confirmation that I have a good system going here! :)

The first thing that pops out at me is the memory. Corsair doesn't recommend 3200 for 865/875 chipsets. I just ordered Twinmos PC3700 (not o/c'd crap) 4.3ns modules for $250 shipped (2x512mb) from MemoryX.

Since you're going to be using a fan controller, why not use 3400rpm fans everywhere and just turn them down? Same price and you have the flexibility of increasing air flow with a turn of a dial.

I'm against rounded cables, but that's just me.

I ordered the same 480w ps too after looking at a few others. I think 22a on the 12v rail is plenty for a P4 system.

Sound is so subjective that you really can't tell from reviews. Also, what sounds great in a store might sound like crap in your home. Newegg has great return policies so it shouldn't be a problem. I ordered the el cheapo z640 speakers myself. If I really want THX, DD, slap my *** and call me Sally sound, I'll watch a movie on my 50" tv and home theater system :D I just don't see a reason to pay that much for speakers on a computer if you're not doing professional movie/music editing.

Other than those points, it looks really great!

Getting all the parts and building it is half the fun!! :D

-Bobby

Bobby said:
The first thing that pops out at me is the memory. Corsair doesn't recommend 3200 for 865/875 chipsets.

Why is that? I plan on using the 3:2 memory settings as per that article that was on the home page a while back (about how the 275/220 fsb/mem settings were just as fast as 295/196).

Since you're going to be using a fan controller, why not use 3400rpm fans everywhere and just turn them down? Same price and you have the flexibility of increasing air flow with a turn of a dial.

I might end up doing that...

I'm against rounded cables, but that's just me.

I've also thought about just using the black PATA cable that come with the P4C800-E Deluxe and see if I can just hide the cable well enough. I might end up doing that first and if I'm not happy with it, then I'll buy the round cable.

Sound is so subjective that you really can't tell from reviews. Also, what sounds great in a store might sound like crap in your home. Newegg has great return policies so it shouldn't be a problem. I ordered the el cheapo z640 speakers myself. If I really want THX, DD, slap my *** and call me Sally sound, I'll watch a movie on my 50" tv and home theater system :D I just don't see a reason to pay that much for speakers on a computer if you're not doing professional movie/music editing.

Well, the family home theater isn't always at my disposal, especially late at night, so it'd be nice to be able to watch DVDs in my room. Plus, it'd be great for gaming and I like to feel the boom when I listen to music. This seems to be the cheapest of the high watt/good quality systems currently available, save for the Logitech 4.1s, but I just don't like their speaker design.

Thanks for the suggestions, hope someone else posts some more.

Back