• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Doom 3 in 2003???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

During Activisions's financial quarterly conference call (you can listen to the event right here), company execs updated their 2003 release calendar and the long anticipated id Software first person shooter Doom III was not among the games planned for release this year (Some of you may remember that at last year's E3 show this banner proclaimed that Doom III would be released this year). During the conference call, the execs stated that for planning purposes they have Doom III penciled in for the fourth quarter 2004 fiscal year (Jan-March 2004) but added that id Software, not Activision, dictates when the game will finally be released. Activision also had other game titles that were announced as being delayed, including True Crime: Streets of LA, which will be delayed from September until later in the fall of 2003 and the Gray Matter first person shooter Trinity which will be moved into sometime into the fiscal year 2005 (which begins on April of 2004). Activision also announced that Rome: Total War, the console Call of Duty game and Quake IV are all currently scheduled to be released in the fiscal 2005 time period. Activision execs also speculated during the conference call's Q&A session that they believe that the successors to the current game consoles won't show up until late 2005 at the earliest.

Check out the source here

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/22/2330250
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=15762

Looks like HL2 won. (refering to other thread)

I have two possible explanasions.

A. They decided that current hardware could not support what they wanted ( Unlikely)

B. They saw HL2 and decided to partially go back to the drawing board.

These could explain a 2-3 months delay, but a whole year delay is pretty huge. Maybe they saw DNF and got scared. j/k

baqai said:
i personally think they have delayed it to avoid clash with hl2

Thats probably right, but to delay it a year means they were not happy with what they have. Perhaps HL2 won the battle, but will not win the war. :)

Why does every Doom 3 or HL2 thread turn into a fighting match over which one is going to be better?

If there is a delay on Doom 3, hopefully it'll coax back Trent Reznor :)

Oni said:
Why does every Doom 3 or HL2 thread turn into a fighting match over which one is going to be better?

If there is a delay on Doom 3, hopefully it'll coax back Trent Reznor :)

I wasn't trying to start anything, I'm just ponting out the obvious.

I bet music is one of the reasons its delayed too. Reznor will probably come back, as it does not take 1.5 years to make an album. (Well... most of the time.)

cack01 said:
I bet music is one of the reasons its delayed too. Reznor will probably come back, as it does not take 1.5 years to make an album. (Well... most of the time.)

It does for Trent Reznor. And w/ albums of the calibre he releases, I'm not shocked ;)

Oh, and I finally have an image for these threads!

fanboys2.jpg

More likely than not I will buy both, unless one's a total dud, therefore I could care less wich is "better". That does bother me having to wait longer for DIII though, makes me wonder if it will even be worth a hoot.

Has anybody heard of any beta testing going on with Doom III? It very well could have something to do with todays hardware not quite being up to snuff and id is waiting for the next batch of vid cards to be released and circulating in the public. This is unlikely, but maybe they started testing and found that it ran pretty schmitty on the average joes hardware. The likely scenario is that they dont want to have to compete with HL2 and want the launch date to bring in maximum cash so that they can start recovering the millions of dollars spent on creating the game. Or it could have a bit to do with both of what I have stated.

I don't think hardware has a huge effect on the delay. Carmack stated that a 9700 would be fine. Also Isn't the next batch of cards supposed to come out during late september or october? Therefore in a year the industry will have had 2 or possibly 3 generation or cards being released. I do not find it possible that the game is that far ahead of its time.

Even if hardware was the issue, why wait. They would make the same amount of money if ten people bought the game every month or 120 people bought the game at one time. A person who plans on buying the game will by it eventually. This is ofcourse assuming they do not lower prices for a year, which would probably hold true any way.

I wonder if quake IV has anything to do with it.

kfc said:
Doom3 is a ****in joke.

a) it will run like *** on most rigs

b) its 99% single player and 1% multiplayer making multiplayer boring as ****.

c) ... most likly... they finally freakin noticed that single player is dead and that they MIGHt want to add in a GOOD multiplayer option if they want to see Doom3 last more then 2 months.

I personally would like to see more single player games like HL. And stop the speculation about how it will run on what.....:rolleyes:

If you like the Doom, Doom 2, and got into them, then you will like doom 3. It should be a great single player game. They might of did the delay so that they could put more of a multiplayer into the game and not make it all single.

i think it was pushed back simply because it's not done yet. personally, i think this game will be terrible and i will only play it once just so i can tell everyone i've atleast played doom III when i say half life 2 is better. the story cracks me up... if you've seen that one e3 trailer you'll know what i mean. it's pathetic. half life 2 will have revolutionary additions to the gaming world graphically as well as game play wise - and all doom 3 has to offer is a pretty enviroment, which, based on the latest maximum pc article, only surpasses half life by the shadows and that's it. i'll laugh when it gets terrible reviews and everyone keeps playing hl2 even after it comes out.

on the reznor album deal 1.5 years probably got him a quarter of the way through The Fragile :)

but he best get the soundtrack done, I feel its going to make or brake this game (atleast for me)

cack01 said:
Looks like HL2 won. (refering to other thread)

I have two possible explanasions.

A. They decided that current hardware could not support what they wanted ( Unlikely)

Well maybe, after all DOOM III is slated to be the first game to be coded in OpenGL 2.0 and all....

By the time Doom3 comes out, it will have had so much hype, it'll totally suck. I've already gotten tiered of waiting for it. They might as well scrap it and start working more on Quake4.

The darn game's gonna turn out like Unreal 2. That game was probably one of the biggest failures I've ever seen. The graphics looked like any other game's graphics and the gameplay was no better than an "ok" shooter. Nothing special like Serious Sam which was just fun as hell to play cuz you could shoot at something like 500 enemies at a time. Nothing special at all. Just another shooter.

I really think Doom 3 is headed for the the same brick wall. By the time it comes out, there's going to be so many new games using the full power of graphics cards that are/will-be out that it just won't be a big deal anymore. Doom3 was trying to capitalize on it's bad as hell graphics, but HL2 stole the show already, and I'm sure that other games will quickly follow suit, making Doom 3 just a re-telling of Doom I, instead of it being a re-telling of Doom I WITH the most ground-breaking and revolutionary graphics ever.

Good going id.

Back