• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any good southbridge cooling solutions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ConquereR

Will any north bridge cooler work on a southbridge even though it doesn have mounting holes? heh. Or should something like a zalman heatsink be thermally glued to the southbridge?

I don't think the southbridge gets very hot, don't bother cooling it. Spend your money on better cooling for you north bridge and CPU.

alpha_gamer said:
I don't think the southbridge gets very hot, don't bother cooling it. Spend your money on better cooling for you north bridge and CPU.

Hehe really nothing better i can get.

Got a SLK-800-U with a Smaft Fan 2 on it. Might put a tornado on it though. On my northbridge i have a Microcool Northpole Chipset Cooling Kit, i love it. Linkage

EDIT : i cant find all the PPL and MOSFET chips to put the little heatsinks on. Anyone got a pic of a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and could label them for me?

448415125154.jpg

As for the PPL chips, I have no idea what they are, sorry. (You could cut up some sinks for the LAN controller and SATA controller chips at the bottom left of the board (or right... I think you get my drift).

Your best bet for SB cooling would be the Zalman passive sink for the NB - As there are no mounting holes for the southbridge, you'll have to use some thermal epoxy (or some frag tape if you need a non-permanent solution). You could also attach a little 40mm fan, if you truly want to go for overkill :).

As said somewhere around here, try mixing some thermal adhesive with AS3 in 1:1 ratio. This will give you semi-permanent solution, cause this mixture doesn't hold THAT tight. However, in this very reason I don't recommend to attach a fan to this heatsink - the combo will be rather heavy, and who knows whether that adhesive+compound mix will hold it.

BTW, there are rumors that southbridge does start to heat up when core voltages are significantly raised. So I wouldn't consider this overkill if going for some serious OCing...

A Zhalman gold heatsink will work fine and is nice and cheap. Alpha_gamer it does get very hot when you pump up the fsb, usually you get a crackle in sound or unstable lan.

I got mine over another country, and they don't deliver to USA, therefore my mom have to bring it for me.

"I don't think the southbridge gets very hot, don't bother cooling it."
In Britney machines(which have the northbridge integrated into the CPU), the southbridge has a passive heatsink, and it gets pretty warm.
One Britney mobo actually has a small HSF for the southbridge!

wannaoc said:
A Zhalman gold heatsink will work fine and is nice and cheap. Alpha_gamer it does get very hot when you pump up the fsb, usually you get a crackle in sound or unstable lan.

Oh alright, I didn't know that. My FSB is only at 133, so i don't get much heat from it. It's funny you mentioned the crackling sound because I was gaming tonight and my sound started to crackle. One I unplugged the power to my speakers and plugged it back in again it seemed fine though.

I put the stock NB rad on my SB. I gets warm to touch at 203Mhz FSB.

Zalman NB-32J should do the job. I actually think this HS is more suited for the SB than the NB, because its base is narrow, thus not covering the whole NB.

I cooled my SB chipset with one of the small passive heatsinks that came with my Vantec Iceberq package. Seems to work alright for me.

Back