Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Sound? What Sound?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 06:52 AM Thread Starter   #1
Val155

10 Year Badge

Sound? What Sound?

First off, I wanted to thank everyone with putting up with my newbie questions while I built my first PC. Everything went smooth and it's fully operational. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

But there is only one problem that I can't seem to fix. I can't get sound to play through my soundcard (Soundblaster PCI128). I can only get the sound to play out of the sound ports that are built into the motherboard?

Why is this? I went to "Device Manager" in the control panel, and It shows my "Sound Blaster PCI 128" as the sound controller? But I can't get anything to come out when I plug in the speakers.

What should I do so that I can plug my speaker cords into my sound card instead to get sound?
Val155 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-03, 07:04 AM   #2
Bobby

10 Year Badge

Congrats on the new build!!!

In the Sound Control panel, there should be an option for sound output. You can choose between output devices.

You can also disable onboard sound in the bios if you don't use it.

-Bobby

Corsair 300r | LogiTech Z-640 | LogiTech G700s |

Heatware
Bobby is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-03, 07:57 AM Thread Starter   #3
Val155

10 Year Badge

When I go to the control panel and click on the Sounds Icon, I don't have the option to choose the sound output device. It just allows me to pick the dinky sounds for windows to start, shutdown, etc.

Is there anywhere else I can find this option?
Val155 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-03, 08:22 AM   #4
palee72

First, did you disable the onboard sound in your bios? I beleive that if you don't, it will over ride your sound card. (could be wrong)

Next, try double clicking the speaker in your task bar (by the clock), that should bring up your sound slide bars. click on the Options -> Properties and you will get something like mixer device. Select your soundblaster PCI 128 for PLAYBACK and RECORDING.

See if that helps you out..

Good luck.

RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC3 10600)
CPU Cooling: AMD Stock
Case Cooling: Side mounted blue led fan
Case: Some silver case I picked up someplace. It holds my stuff..
palee72 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-03, 08:27 AM   #5
Bobby

10 Year Badge

In Control Panels >Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio tab

You should be able to choose which device to play sounds from and to record. They're drop down menus and should have both onboard and card if you have both drivers installed correctly.

-Bobby

Corsair 300r | LogiTech Z-640 | LogiTech G700s |

Heatware
Bobby is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.