Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.
Forum Jump

How can I use my main computer as a file server for SETI

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 03:36 PM Thread Starter   #1
beau_safken

How can I use my main computer as a file server for SETI

Ok basically I just came upon a 1.3 gig system while my brother was upgrading. I want to put this to good use by using it for SETI. Only thing is that all I have is the motherboard, cpu, ram and powersupply. I am kind of hosed for all the rest of the components. IS there a way to use my main computer to act as a file server for the other computer to access SETI from. Kind of like the Linux cluster idea. IF that is not a possiblity....Will I have to basically make this damn thing into another computer? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-03, 04:54 PM   #2
Demont

10 Year Badge

Might wanna check out Arkaine's overcrunchix project here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...hreadid=217151

All you will need is a CD-Rom and a NIC maybe if it doesn't have it onboard. (Should be very low cost)

Heatware
Demont is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-03, 06:36 PM   #3
Burning Phoenix

10 Year Badge

I am sure a windows based system can do the same thing as the Linux Cluster idea. If i ever get the time to finish my seti diskless someday i'll post how i did it with a windows server. From what I've read it seems Win98 is the windows OS to use for this idea.

Burning Phoenix is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-03, 08:46 PM Thread Starter   #4
beau_safken

Well it looks like im gonna have to basically build another computer...Oh well. I'll jsut pull my CDrom out of my main computer to install Window98 and then just build it like I should any other computer.

Old 07-23-03, 09:46 PM   #5
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

Why not use the cdrom that Arkaine made? All you need for it is any cdrom drive a nic and the hardware you have.

Old 07-23-03, 11:11 PM Thread Starter   #6
beau_safken

I hear ya TC. I have a 4 gig HD just sitting around. I thought I would just put all the extra parts I have laying around to some use. I am gonna build the computer on a piece of plywood... I am just gonna basically make a computer ultimatly without a CDROM or Floppy. After I install all the components I will take the floppy and Cd rom off and just have it on all the time crunching SETI. I'll just que up like 70 WU's and everyweek hook it up to a moniter and Dump WU's. I think it will work. It will be fun to built a totally revealed computer...HEHe..

Old 07-24-03, 12:27 AM   #7
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

Well if you've got the HD just go ahead and install an OS and use VNC to work with it over the LAN once it's setup. You can install tight vnc as a service so it comes up automatically after a reboot. If you keep it connected to your lan then you don't need to update the work units at all.

Old 07-24-03, 01:02 PM Thread Starter   #8
beau_safken

Big problem is I dont have broadband so It needs to be used almost independently. But its ok...when there are WU's coming in at a constant rate....Life is good. Am I right?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.