• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guys Grade me on my first Custom system!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Canadien

Registered
Pentium 4 2.4 Version C 800 fsb
Asus P4P 800 865pe
DDR 400 256 * 2 Kingston
120 GB Western Digital 8 MEG
ATI Redeon 9500 Pro(Sapphir) 128 DDR
Logitech Freedom Pro Keyboard Mouse
Audigy Sound Blaster II OEM
Blue Case Transparent
Intel 56K FAX MODEM v92
Logitech Z560 Speaker
Sony CDRW 52*24*52
Sony DVD 16*
Sony Floppy disk
Albatron LCD 17" monitor
Benq digital Camera
Hawlett Packard PSC1210 3-in-1 printer

So guys what do you think about the system, should I change something, give me some tips to even better my system, I'm on limited budget so I can't afford top of the line product, tell me if I should go for different company as I'm not sure for many of the company.

thats a pretty good system.the only thing i would have changed would be the 17" lcd for a 21"crt

What does that mean? What is the reasoning behind your statement? Looking at your other post's, your boarderline spamming

Regarding the system I give it an A. That MOBO is a great bang for your buck board. You should be able to really overclock that ram/cpu/mobo.
What kind of power supply are you getting? How about the Modem? I just scored an external Zoom 56k V.92 off of Ebay and I really like it. Try to get either a PCI or serial modem with an onboard controller. In other words don't get a winmodem

he was only giving his opinion, i would hardly call that "spamming".

i mean the guy asked if he should change something and pablopelotas sed what he thinks he should change.

as for the system that is pretty good :D

OK maybe I was feeling a bit testy when I read that post. Got some food and a beer and all is good.

I would suggest adding an aftermarket HS & fan such as a SLK-900U to improve your CPU temps & to achieve a higher stable overclock as I'm guessing you're currently using the stock HSF which is not exactly top notch. ;)

I acutally agree that you should get a CRT. The only LCD I found really worth buying in Canada and not costing you an arm would be probably the NEC 1760 when Futureshop has a good sale on. I've seem them selling for $600 at futureshop after a rebate and sale. They have an extremely low 16ms response time. I know nothing at all about the Albatron, but I'd assume it's nothing amazing.

Chuck232 said:
I acutally agree that you should get a CRT. The only LCD I found really worth buying in Canada and not costing you an arm would be probably the NEC 1760 when Futureshop has a good sale on. I've seem them selling for $600 at futureshop after a rebate and sale. They have an extremely low 16ms response time. I know nothing at all about the Albatron, but I'd assume it's nothing amazing.

That sounds great, I can't think of anything I'd change except for the LCD.
I have an NEC LCD 2110 at work with a 60hz refresh rate and I can't stand it, when I scroll down the screen cannot refresh fast enough, it gives me a headache. I had a 21" CRT before and I wish I had it instead. If you like the LCD, then more power to you. I find that the one I have hurts my eyes and I have to look at it for 10 hours every day.

As for CPU cooling, there's the SLK900 and 800 and the Zailman 7000. I'm probably going for the Zailman since it is quiet, seems easier to install and it supposedly is just as good as the SLK. If you need thermal paste, there's a good thread in the cooling section about a suprising review of all the thermal paste.

drop the 9500 Pro, and get a saphire red PCB, L ram shape 9500 np and softmod it for top end performance for low end prices, that should help save a few dollars, for something else ;)

Pretty good system. I would go with

Corsair or Mushkin memory if you have the money.

DEFINITELY get a good Power supply

DO NOT get the P4P800. People in my store have returned 3 dead ones and I have recieved 2 with a bad BIOS chip.

If you learn one thing, ASUS BOARDS ALL DIE! I will not deal in Asus any more because of how much trouble tehy are and they put me in the hole and almost screw my small store :(

.. I've got 2 ASUS boards here and they've been great... I'm sure all boards will have problems at some point, just don't necessarily base fact on your own experiences. We get lucky and we don't get lucky somtimes.

IMO though, I'd go with the IC7, just cause it's a great o/cing board and is a Cantewood.:)

AMD_Me said:

DO NOT get the P4P800. People in my store have returned 3 dead ones and I have recieved 2 with a bad BIOS chip.

If you learn one thing, ASUS BOARDS ALL DIE! I will not deal in Asus any more because of how much trouble tehy are and they put me in the hole and almost screw my small store :(

sorry that you don't like Asus, there are lots of people who are very happy with theirs, maybe you got a bad batch. I built my first computer with an ASUS board and it booted no problem, I couldn't believe it. But yeah, if i had the same experience as you had, I would never buy them again.

I would agree with the idea of dropping the LCD to get a CRT if you plan to game. I have not seen a good LCD that can keep up with the framerates. Objects seem to have "runny" edges and are not clean and clear.

But other than that I think it looks great. You did some homework!

if you want a 9500 pro you should just buy a 9500 pro. The sapphire card doesnt mode that well at all anymore. If you had asked maybe 7 months ago Id agree with what others have posted and said screw it softmod a red pcb sapphire. Not anymore. The success rate is just aweful compared to what it was. Not worth the risk and hassle returning/ebaying again and again trying for a success.

Better to just pay the difference and get the pro or skip it all together and get a 9700 non pro. Newegg has had some refurbished 9700 pro cards for 230 on and off lately. That is a good deal too.

i'd get the zalman, its quiet, cools really good and its cheaper than the SLK900 + fan. then take the extra cash and get the 9800 non-pro for $390 (vibecomputers.com)i was tellin ya about in the other forum about video card under $199. ya i'd agree why the modem? you don't need it with highspeed (rogers or sympatico). overclock the 9800np to pro speeds if it will and then you'll be totally set for gaming and stuff. when i get the money i'm getting one of those myself or a 9800 pro off ebay (had one for $465cdn shipped with tax. :( ) also make sure you have decent case cooling too and decent PSU if you plan on overclocking 3.2 - 3.4.

Back