• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ssh login asthetics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ookabooka

Well, I just got my sparc workstation. . .and its bootstraping gentoo right now (will switch to distcc w/ccache when finished). I sshed into the thing, but was dissapointed becase it didn't say:
This is Sparky.myhouse (Linux sparc 2.4.20-gentoo-r5) 00:00:00

Sparky login:

It only says
root@Sparky's password:

My question is how do I change it to the standard terminal login. I want to brag to my friends that i have a sparc by sshing into it and having it display the architechture like it does in telnet(i think?).

Usually this is done with /etc/issue. Check your /etc/issue file. If you don't have one create it with some variation of uname that you like:
uname -sr > /etc/issue

Find your sshd_config (usually in /etc, /etc/ssh, or /usr/local/etc). Look for the "Banner" option. If it's not there just add the line:
Banner /etc/issue

HUP sshd:
kill -HUP sshd_pid

BTW, displaying your OS in remote login prompts is a bad idea ;) Better would be some thing like:
Code:
* * * * * * * * * * * * W A R N I N G * * * * * * * * * * * * *
THIS SYSTEM IS RESTRICTED TO AUTHORIZED USERS FOR AUTHORIZED USE
ONLY. UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND MAY BE 
PUNISHABLE UNDER THE COMPUTER FRAUD AND ABUSE ACT OF 1986 OR 
OTHER APPLICABLE LAWS. IF NOT AUTHORIZED TO ACCESS THIS SYSTEM,
DISCONNECT NOW. BY CONTINUING, YOU CONSENT TO YOUR KEYSTROKES 
AND DATA CONTENT BEING MONITORED. ALL PERSONS ARE HEREBY 
NOTIFIED THAT THE USE OF THIS SYSTEM CONSTITUTES CONSENT TO 
MONITORING AND AUDITING. 
* * * * * * * * * * * * W A R N I N G * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:D

wow, a disclaimer, make it interactive too, so they have to type yes or something, maybe a nice ascii movie. . . :p Where can I set the MOTD for the login. I might just put it there instead to avoid security breaches.

Back