• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP? standalone server? (BF1942)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

i'm considering building a system to run as a server in BF1942. i have a question about makin it an SMP, tho. i dont understand the whole 100% 50% each thing. if the server is TRYIN to get 200% out of the comp (if it was single) would it keep the dual at 100% each? and if not, could you explain why? caus i know my CPU stays at 100% just serving the game. so it seems like it could do better with double the CPU. and i could go dual and get cheap CPUS, that would still run better than the comp servin (and playin, too!) the game. add some RAM, and a drive big enough to hold the OS and game (maybe a few in RAID for the speed? :) ) and i would have a nice little server. no? i'd probably run my ATI RAGE card in it for video..... but i just wanna know if it'll be worth it for the dual to help serving the game.

That is true, but you could run the server for BF1942 on one CPU and play on the other one. I found that that game is VERY memory hungry.....

For game serving, memory is probably more important than any other factor.

An SMP machine would do a fine job, although it may not use it's full CPU potential.

I would think that a couple 1.3 GHz Morgan Durons (these are cheap and SMP capable without any mods) and a good chunk of RAM (at least 512) would be good enough to host the game with good performance. I think RAID would be overkill, though. A single IDE drive, a bunch of RAM, and dual CPU's should do well.

If you're hosting on it, but not playing, then the video card shouldn't matter and CPU speed should be less important.

Keep in mind that the Durons are SMP capable, without mods, but a pair of T-bred XP1700's is probably more bang-for-the-buck, since they have additional cache, higher FSB (therefore faster memory speed), and they overclock REALLY well. The problem with T-breds, though, is that they run noticable warmer than Durons. You could get by with really cheap cooling on the Durons, but would probably need better cooling for the T-breds.

(You can mod the multi on Durons to 10X, then run them at 133 FSB, by the way, for an easy performance boost.)

If you decide to go for it, and need any advice on parts, let me know. I've got five AMD duallies, so I've learned, over time, what works and what doesn't and how to build a dually and still hear yourself think.

Last edited:
One benefit about running a duallie as a game server for Bf42, the game will only use one cpu, but that leaves the other to handle any windows issues or what not with out effecting the game. that game is seriously memory intensive, so Iif you're planning on accomodating more than 12 players, I'd recommend at least a gig of ram, if not more. Also if you're planning on hosting more than 12 players, you'll have to start considering the processor power more and more. BF42s site for servers recommends at least a p4 2.0 for 30 players, and dual t1 lines. The game will use around 80kbps per player. This is straight from ea's site of recommendations for servers. And that's for a dedicated server, if you're planning on gaming on the same rig, you'll need even more cpu and ram to handle the extra load. I've got a public server running for desert combat (it's for our clan, but we leave it open to the public when we're not having any clan matches.

im planning on just usin this server for LAN parties and folding. i dont know if i'll even keep into it, as money is... well almost not here at all. but i'll prolly get a cheap board like a K7S5A, hopefully a gig of PC2100, and a CPU, either a Tbred B 1700 or 2100. then toss in a network card (unless i get the new revision board with onboard) and a snot vid card. then just use that to host (better than playin AND hosting on a XP2100 system)

what would yall think about that? or maybe get an SMP board and later upgrade to a seconf CPU?

get the k7s5a with onboard video. that way, the snot video will come with it ;)

I contemplated the idea of running dualie morgan 1.3s for folding and seti-ing. Would that mean i could run 2 WU's at once? Would 2 WUs on a dual duron 1.3 run as fast as 1 WU on a single duron 1.3?

Chowdy said:
I contemplated the idea of running dualie morgan 1.3s for folding and seti-ing. Would that mean i could run 2 WU's at once? Would 2 WUs on a dual duron 1.3 run as fast as 1 WU on a single duron 1.3?

Yes you can and yes they will.

oh.... and im considering upgrading my asus a7n8x to a dual board. (my main rig) would my smartpower 400 watt be able to handle a couple 1700s? and how well do dualies OC? caus i have a DLT3C 1700 on its ay. and if i get another..... lol. i want to be able tu run at least a nice 2.0, like my asus can do. would i be able to expect that? or would i look at basically gettin a little from multi modding the chips? and of course i'll have to L5 mod the chips (wont i?) can the dual boards tweak memory timings? (well which one is best for OCing, basically) i really hope i can get enough money together by the end of the summer for a good dual board.... then i'll hopefully get a nice dually together!

four4875 said:
oh.... and im considering upgrading my asus a7n8x to a dual board. (my main rig) would my smartpower 400 watt be able to handle a couple 1700s? and how well do dualies OC? caus i have a DLT3C 1700 on its ay. and if i get another..... lol. i want to be able tu run at least a nice 2.0, like my asus can do. would i be able to expect that? or would i look at basically gettin a little from multi modding the chips? and of course i'll have to L5 mod the chips (wont i?) can the dual boards tweak memory timings? (well which one is best for OCing, basically) i really hope i can get enough money together by the end of the summer for a good dual board.... then i'll hopefully get a nice dually together!

That PSU may not be enough to power an AMD dual.

Duallies don't overclock as well as single-CPU rigs. They are overclockable and you can get some good results, but not at the level of your current motherboard.

You will have to L5 mod the chips.

Some of the dual boards have memory tweaks. The MSI is generally considered the best AMD duallie, though the Asus comes in a close second.

Back