• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Petition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forceflow3

Registered
I started a petition requesting Intel to support Centrino technology under Linux. So far they have done little to do so and had previously said they would. After E-Mailing them, they replied that they had no plans to support centrino under linux any further. Please sign my petition if you care about this issue.
Read the Petition Here

Thanks, I signed it :)

If anyone is interested, this was posted at another forum, supposedly a quote from Intel:

Please note that Linux will run on any IA based PC. Intel(R) Centrino(TM) Mobile Technology-based systems include integrated 802.11b wireless LAN capability, requiring particular drivers, which currently do not run on Linux. Intel has no plans at this time to write Linux drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN MiniPCI Adapters.

In other words, it appears the wireless LAN device is the only thing affected.

I not a user of intel or linux but I'm down to support my fellow OCers

Signed. #120 here.

Im thinking on trying Linux again but everytime I do it rains death on my ntfs partition

Any tuts out there that will help a linux n00b settings up a partition on my hard drive?

I'm quite disappointed with Intel in this respect, however I can't blame them for trying to keep their trade secrets just that: Secrets and Proprietary Information.

I do, however see a problem Intel should address: They need to make an alternative that will be able to run Linux and continue to in the future, or their profits may see a dip.

What benefit would a Linux distro gain from running on Centrino technology?

Being able to use the 802.11b nic that came built into my Centrino laptop would be all that Linux would gain. Linux already runs fine on Centrinos, there's just no driver for the nic.

SinsFeelNatural said:
I not a user of intel or linux but I'm down to support my fellow OCers

Signed. #120 here.

Im thinking on trying Linux again but everytime I do it rains death on my ntfs partition

Any tuts out there that will help a linux n00b settings up a partition on my hard drive?

Sorry bout that, missed your last part before. A good place to start is http://www.linuxvirgins.com/install.html they have a nice set of installation instructions including partitioning. If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Back