• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will they standardize the FP connector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BadThad

One thing I hate most when building a system is the stupidazz FP connectors. When are the mobo and case mfgs going to standardize the FP connector so it's the freaking same on everythng. I want ONE STINKING CONNECTOR instead of fiddling with all the 2 and 3 prong thingies. Got it Abit, Asus, Gigabyte, etc? ONE CONNECTOR...a 2 second job!

How many times have you connected an LED only to have it backwards and the LED won't light? hehehe Then you get out a pair a freaking tweezes, a flash light and a magnifying glass to surgically flip it whiles the OS is loading. :cry:

Agreed. But none of the FP connectors are really important, besides the power switch and possibly the speaker. I guess its not on their priority list.

phpguru

I wondered that, too. Even if you got the board designers to use a common connector, the case manufacturers would have to follow along. It is pretty easy to standardize the boards, but for cases, it would be hard to have a standard cable. The wire lengths would have to vary with switch locations on the case. It's a lot easier for the case makes to use multiple wire pairs with 2 lead connectors. It could happen though.

Hooking up the FP wires is my least favorite task when putting together a new system.

So long as they make them somewhat protected and sturdy like they do now to the IDE connections. Those flimsy things are willing to bend every which way if you have a small case.

Argh. FP connectors. Evil little things.

I built a computer for a friend a few months ago - to this day the HDD LED does not work, no matter where or which way I plug it in. :)

Yeah, maybe the LED is busted, and maybe the lead on the board is busted, but I blame the inherent annoyance of FP connectors.

Back