• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweakmonster Vs DIY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pixel

OK im trying to buy really good ram sinks and from what i noticed tweakmonster is the best....but they are expensive is there a DIY that gives the same or better performance help i need to OC!

I don't even think the tweakmonster ramsinks are really made from copper. I bought a four pack of them and noticed that the base was very uneven. So I lapped them down to 1000 grit and before they became flat the base color turned copper colored. That color was very thin and by the time they were really flat, the color had changed to more of a brass color. Look at this pick of them next to a real copper 1c cpu cooler that I lapped and stated grinding into smaller heatsinks. The color says it all.

ramsinks.jpg

be specific ;) i need to know which heatsink to hack up to use instead of tweak monster....i was thinking of using the same thing i have on my nb on my mosfets and vidcard that zalmon thingy

just go to your local puter store and look for the cheapest cpu cooler there. i get the cheapies from 5-10 bucks. then just hack it up to whatever size you need.

im looking for perforamance! im sure others work better than some.... im asking for specific brands and stuff

my friend works for ocz he said tweakmonsters are bad and im not giving his name kuz obviously he would be kut!

yeah ive heard bad reviews on the tweakmonster sinks. The ones i bought from svc arent the same, all though they are ocz brand but i think they're just from a giant hs chopped up in bga size.

at frys they have cooler master dreamer or whatever it takes 3200+ bartons or whatever...10$ i heard it performs close to a vantec aeroflow

Is the heatsink even, though? Not all heatsinks can just be cut up into eighths.

Find a Pentium heatsink and cut it up. IMHO anything else is really overkill.

i have no idea and i dont think my mosfets and ram are the same size either.... o wait! ok you know how when you buy ram heat spreaders? and they com with ram sinks that NO ONE uses...i think ill use those....

Mustanley said:
I don't even think the tweakmonster ramsinks are really made from copper. I bought a four pack of them and noticed that the base was very uneven. So I lapped them down to 1000 grit and before they became flat the base color turned copper colored. That color was very thin and by the time they were really flat, the color had changed to more of a brass color. Look at this pick of them next to a real copper 1c cpu cooler that I lapped and stated grinding into smaller heatsinks. The color says it all.

ramsinks.jpg

Glad I saw this. I'd just ordered these ramsinks from Cooltechnica yesterday. I was able to call and cancel my order.

It was painful to pay $24 dollars for them when I thought they were made of copper. No way I was going to pay that much for brass. These are a scam in my opinion, because aluminum has better thermal conductivity than brass.

I've got some copper sheet (maybe 1 mm) that I'll just bend up, and lap, to make myself some ramsinks.

Definately not copper.......*******s. They don't have enough surface area to be very good anyways.

Hey Musty, where are you putting those sinks your makin?
I always wondered about cutting up a skieved hs......seems like they would bend way to easy when cutting them up.

I've always used old P1 hs's. They work great.

:p

edit--you mean I can't say ******* in here?

El<(')>Maxi said:
Hey Musty, where are you putting those sinks your makin?
I always wondered about cutting up a skieved hs......seems like they would bend way to easy when cutting them up.

Those are going on the BGA chips on my 9800np. Let me tell you, the fins on this heatsink are STIFF. No chance of them bending accidently. The base of the heatsink doesn't look very thick, but I went through 3 regular dremel grinding discs to make those two little grooves. I need to get some reinforced grinding discs and try again.

Ramsinks ussually give you like 2mhz if your lucky.. I think they are pretty useless without a vmod to go with them. I use the ones that come with this.. you get free copper heatspreaders with them if you want them, you have to do some cutting though. Also OCZ makes some cheaper ramsinks and you can get the TweakMonster ones from the site in this link for cheap.

Technically, couldn't a company make ramsinks and say "Copper Ramsinks!" and constructed them only composed of 1% copper and 99% aluminum and not be in legal danger? Only if they said "100% copper!" would it be false advertising? Am i right? Or do these companies have more to lose than their reputations.

Back