• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7d not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

Ok, I got my first cpu, so I started working on building the system today. I took 256mb out of this computer and put it in the msi, according to the led diagnostic thing, it hung on the memory detection test(tried slots 1&2 with unregistered ram). It errored with the memory in either slot so I tried it in slot 4 (closest to the cpu) and it passed the memory detection test but is now hanging when it tries to decompress the bios image to ram for fast booting. Does this mean I have a bad bios or bad ram or neither? This is my first experience with msi and smp and so far it's not starting off that good:-/

Hmm...

Well, I can't help you too much, except that the ram goes in the two slots closest to the CPU. The numbers are printed on the very upper right corner of the PCB, just above the memory. The print on the right side is just informing you, but those aren't the actual first and second slots.

What beep/led codes is it giving you now? What type/speed of ram is it?

-CPFitz-

i've tried corsair pc3200 and kingston pc2700 memory and got the same thing both times. The beeps it give me isn't really coherent, it just starts what sounds like random beeps that don't stop. The led code is green green red red which according to the manual, that' the decompressiong bios to ram error.

I'm using an MP 2400+(and yes it's in the right socket), I'll reset the cmos and report back in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Corsair is renowned for having problems with this board, because it's auto settings are too aggressive to get it to boot. The other memory may be having the same problem.

Here is the solution:

Shut down and unplug the PSU.
Set the FSB jumper to 100.
Reset the CMOS for at least 10 seconds.
Replug the PSU cable.
Boot up and go into the BIOS
Set the memory settings from Auto to Manual and enter these values:
-> 16,16,6,2,2,2,3 (these are the best and fastest settings for this board.)
Save and Exit the BIOS
Shut down
Move the FSB jumper back to 133
Boot up and enjoy your now-working rig.

*EDITED* for clarity.

Last edited:
Well, it's not making it to the bios but i'll try what you said and see if that helps, thanks.

OCn00b said:
Well, it's not making it to the bios but i'll try what you said and see if that helps, thanks.

Setting the FSB jumper to 100, should help. That's what will get it to boot (assuming it's not bad memory or a bad motherboard.) After you can get it to boot, you can change those memory settings and fix the problem that it is encountering at 133 FSB.

Corair XMS 256mb 333mhz low-latency works fine for me (CMX256a-2700ll) on my K7d. Does your board display a video signal when you set the FSB to 100 mhz?

Yeah, the Corsair should work. It just doesn't work at Auto settings. If set to Manual settings, it should run like a champ.

It got farther that time. It's now hanging when it tries initializing the hard drive controller. Could it be a bad hard drive?

also try this, disconnect the PS from the wall, then disconnect the cable to the MB, pop the battry out of the MB, wait 2 minutes, put the battery back in, reconnect the MB PS cable, plug your power cord in the PS and boot the system. I have often had clear jumpers don't like to work. Also inspect the RAM visually for damage and the memery stick side contacts and traces (as much as you can without voiding your warenty) and the MB slot for dirt or corrosion or damage or dust.

OCn00b said:
It got farther that time. It's now hanging when it tries initializing the hard drive controller. Could it be a bad hard drive?

It could be a bad hard drive, or bad hard drive cable, or lots of other things.

When you have a system that won't boot, the best thing to do is simplify the system. Remove anything and everything that isn't necessary for the system to just boot. Strip it down to this: PSU, MB, one CPU, one stick of memory, video card. Nothing else. Unhook every other data and power cable. Make sure that you have the ATX and the +12V cabless plugged into the motherboard, but none of the Molex connectors should be hooked to anything.

Set the FSB to 100, clear the CMOS again, just to be sure (you need to unhook the PSU when you do this, BTW,) and then try it again.

If it NOW boots, then go into the BIOS, make the changes to the memory settings and save and exit. Then, shut down and start adding one component at a time. You may find that the whole problem was one cable that was hooked up wrong or just a bad IDE cable. You never know. The best thing to do is simplify, then add one thing at a time, until you identify the problem.

P.S. Are you SURE that your CPU is good and your heatsink is making good contact with it? If it's not, then your CPU is dead and you would have problems if your CPU is dead.

OCn00b said:

What is the hard drive (model & age)? Some older WDs hang if you put them on a channel by itself and set it to master, so just take all the jumpers off and that will put the drive in single mode. Also if your hd has a exposed circut board with visable components (facing out, not facing in), check if any resistor or capacitors or leads are loose. I had a seagate (very poor quality) that sometimes spined up and sometimes didn't (put your ear to it) and I notice a factory set jumper block (can't be removed) was loose, pulled out my soldering gun and fixed it.

See if you can post the system without anything attached to the ide ports, no HDs or cables. But attach a floppy and see if you can boot into dos.

The hd is a 10.2gb wd. It worked ok in my 2400+ that's in my sig when I first set that up. As far as the cpu, I'm assuming it's working fine. Judging from the manual, I should get 4 reds is the cpu is bad but it goes right past that every time. I removed all the cables and unplugged the cd-rom and hdd and it's still hanging on the initializing hard drive controller.

Did you totally unhook everything and strip the system down, like I mentioned above? Just one CPU, one sticky of memory, etc?

Yeah, one cpu, 1 memory stick and a video card. It still hangs on the hard drive controller so I emailed msi, I'm waiting to hear from them now.

Back