• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc speeds win95 vs xp pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

i have a celeron 800mhz, that i could run at the highest my bios would let me (about 1.016GHz) on windows 95. however, when i try to run windows xp professional, it reboots at the blue cloud screen. i think there's a window that flashes on the screen, but it goes very fast and i dont know how to capture it.

i lowered the oc speed a few fsb settings so that its running at a bit over 900mhz, but it would be nice if i could at least run at what i was running before.

when i boot up and go into the cpu status, the cpu temp is never really over 20C, and when i have it running on xp and folding, it gets to about 30C, so i doubt its a temperature problem.

is this something that volt modding would fix?

Unless you live in a very cold place, those temps are wrong. They are way too low. (I assume you have air cooling).

Some OSs o/c better than others; you may be SOL. Maybe WinXP stresses your memory more than 95 did...

Sorry, I'm not helping much, just guesses...

Volt modding might fix it. The reason is that 95 is on the Windows 9x kernel and XP Pro is on the NT kernel. The NT kernel is much more sensitive to instability than the 9x kernel, so it isn't uncommon to have a few MHz less of an overclock on XP than say 95 or 98. So if you can add some voltage and manage to get it more stable, then it might work.

Back