• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a recomendation for a Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

A friend of mine is looking into purchasing a Laptop. Its really only going to be used for Email and the internet. Nothing graphically intense. Im wondering if anyone has seen any good deal lately on a good brand. It should have a burner and all the normal stuff. Needs to have good tech support with it also. Because this person is not a big computer person.

dell's are very good laptops, and i hear from other ppl that their customer service is pretty good. Currently, the dell inspiron 1100 is only $699 after a $150 mail in rebate. the only option for a burner is a combo burner/dvd drive unfortorunatley, an extra $129. there are other models, but i'm not too familiar with them.

Go with the dell, there was a sotry about how someone got a 2 year old dell replaced with a brand new one around here just a day or two ago. Dell has great systems for the average laptop user, and excellent customer service. Look at the 600m if you want killer battery power, or the 1100 for a great price.

I would go with dell also. I have one, and there was a small problem and they fixed it asap with no problems at all.

Dude, definitely get a Dell, BUT get it refurbished. You save so much cash if you do, and then you can afford to get the complete care warranty, which basically means you can throw it out a window and get a replacement. My bro got the i8200 (which is the model from the series before the new i8500) for 1300 and it was fully loaded. It had the best screen, best video card, dvd/cdrw drive, 1.8 ghz pentium 4 m, everything. And it seems just like brand new. I would not recommend anything else. If you dont find a comp with a configuration you like on the refurbished site, check again the next day because they constantly update the selection. And dont forget to change the model in the drop down menus when you are filtering options, if you get a model from the last series you can save a lot and have the same performance (almost).

My vote goes to Dell, my school uses only dell laptops, they do better than the Dell desktops:rolleyes: but yea get a Dell:D

Hmm, I just got a Dell laptop, and the complete care warranty is not available in California. This was as of April. So if IR1's friend is in the same state as he is he may be out of luck in that respect.

The only problem i had with my dell laptop (the inspiron 8100) is that the HD burned up on me right after the 1 yr warrenty was up. All my friends have had the same problem, but hopefully dell is past that.

I would go with the DELL's for sure. I had my DELL Laptop for like 2 years and they replaced it with a new one when it started having problems.

I also got a D600 a few weeks before they were released to the General Public for Beta Testing at my company.

There were a few issues with Drivers at first but its stable now.

If you can afford it, get the D600, its my favorite

Thanks for the help. I was thinking Dell as well. But what Durrem said is interesting. Wonder why they skimp California... and yes my friend lives he as well.

durrem said:
Hmm, I just got a Dell laptop, and the complete care warranty is not available in California. This was as of April. So if IR1's friend is in the same state as he is he may be out of luck in that respect.

OMG MAN U LIVE IN MILPITAS!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST MOVED FROM THERE!!!!! I THOUGHT NO ONE ON THESE FORUMS LIVED IN MILPITAS!!!!!!

IR1 said:
Thanks for the help. I was thinking Dell as well. But what Durrem said is interesting. Wonder why they skimp California... and yes my friend lives he as well.

Ok, I just did some research on the Dell forum and found this post:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=cc_pre_sales&message.id=8155&

Looks like Complete Care is available through the Dell small business division in California, but not the home division. Complete Care is considered insurance in California, and Dell is not licensed to sell insurance in California, although I'm not sure why they can offer it through small business then...

ssgohan434 said:
OMG MAN U LIVE IN MILPITAS!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST MOVED FROM THERE!!!!! I THOUGHT NO ONE ON THESE FORUMS LIVED IN MILPITAS!!!!!!

Sorry, I don't post much *grin* ... Just 921 more posts and I can get back into general chat heh.

Back