• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partial Unlock... Which pins didn't I connect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I was trying to unlock my xp1600 on a k7d master, but i seemed to have forced the 12.5x multi. Any ideas on which pin(s) I didn't connect?

btw... the 12.5x multi is the higest the board offers, so I guess I could have forced something higher, and it is reverting to 12.5x.... well .. maybe not... i dunno.

FunkDaMonkMan said:
I was trying to unlock my xp1600 on a k7d master, but i seemed to have forced the 12.5x multi. Any ideas on which pin(s) I didn't connect?

btw... the 12.5x multi is the higest the board offers, so I guess I could have forced something higher, and it is reverting to 12.5x.... well .. maybe not... i dunno.

Sounds like you grounded the 3rd and 4th L1s.
Default 10.5X = HI-HI-HI-HI-LO L to R.
12.5X = HI-HI-LO-LO-LO, see the comparison??
You may have grounded them if the pits were not fully insulated...conductive material got to the sub-surface ground plane...clean/redo.

<a href="http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm">
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm</a>
Link to Multiplier Code article and learn the "code".
Other articles as well are worthwhile to understand what goes on re Multiplier and other bridges.
John C.

Thankyou John, i'll give it another go.

If I accidentally connected two sets of pins, would they be considered grounded?

ok, i'm reading the page, and right now its just a bunch of mush mush. I just woke up, so maybe that's it. Can you show me exactally where I need to look? Thanks.

:edit: ok so i get it. I enabled .5x + 1x + 8x + an additional 3x = 12.5x

now if i connect them all, this SHOULD give me an unlock right?

What happens when I connect only the 4x and not the 2x? Do i got a 16.5x multi?

Last edited:
ok so i get it. I enabled .5x + 1x + 8x + an additional 3x = 12.5x

***No...let's go back to previous post
Default 10.5X = HI-HI-HI-HI-LO L to R...but these are the "L3" bridges...they are the ones that set the default 10.5X Multiplier. But the "L1" bridges (which allow the mobo/bios to "change" the individual default settings when Closed) "are connected" to the individual signal circuits. So if an L1 bridge is grounded, then that signal circuit is also grounded/set LO. So if you get 12.5X...

which = HI-HI-LO-LO-LO, then you may have grounded the 3rd and 4th signal circuits from the Left if the pits of "the L1s" were not fully insulated....compare the HI/LO patterns...see it now??? That's how you could have gotten from 10.5X default to 12.5X...check the Multiplier Table of Settings to verify the 10.5X and 12.5X code... and the actual signal circuits diagram/s in the Palomino article to see how grounding the signal circuit/s at the L1s grounds the signal circuit/s. See also the "Circuits" article.*****

now if i connect them all, this SHOULD give me an unlock right?

***If you connect all the L1s "correctly" then the mobo/bios jumpers should be able to reset the individual bits (4 or 5 depending on the mobo) according to AMD's Multiplier Code...see Workarounds article.***

What happens when I connect only the 4x and not the 2x? Do i got a 16.5x multi?

***You don't get 13X and up until the 5th 8X Bit Value bit is reset from its default LO at 10.5X to a HI...see Table of Settings...your 1600's 5th L3 is Closed/LO by default. If your mobo/bios/jumpers are unable to reset to 13X and up then you will have to reset "that bit" manually. See Workarounds article for various ways to do that.
Sorry this sounds a bit complex, but we did not design the Multiplier system/code, AMD did...we are only the messenger. But it's not rocket science, just some binary code with "offsets"...stick with it and learn it..and learn how direct connections of signal circuits to ground set LOs which can never be reset HI...in Circuits article.***
John C.

so, on my 2nd processor, if i purposely grounded the 3rd and 4th pins ONLY and didn't connect anything else... then I would get a 12.5x multi?

FunkDaMonkMan said:
so, on my 2nd processor, if i purposely grounded the 3rd and 4th pins ONLY and didn't connect anything else... then I would get a 12.5x multi?

Yes-IF...your second cpu is also a 1600/10.5X default.

But you don't want to ground those circuits with the L1s as it is difficult to clean the pits and undo the grounds.

Hope you are talking about the "pins" and referencing the techniques in the Workarounds article...based on a good understanding of the "Code", L3 bridges, and relevant pins/sockets.

Just layout the 5 bit HI/LO code for default and desired, and the comparison shows you which need to be changed. Execution technique is up to you, mod the bridges...or apply the fine wire jumpers in appropriate pairs of sockets, from signal circuit/s to Vcore/HI or to Gd/LO.

But always first try setting 12.5X via mobo/bios/jumpers as most mobos are able to reset the 1st 4 bits, ie, 5X thru 12.5X range of Multipliers...as long as L1s are closed correctly.
John C.

Well, I can run at 144 fsb with the 12.5x multi... but if i run my board's max of 150, I get errors. Even if I increase the vcore .125v I start seeing idle temps of 48C with this setup... before it freezes. I think this is my max o/c without watercooling, and i don't forsee me buying a watercooling setup for this outdated system. I may just lock the other processor @ 12.5x, but i'm scared that if i screw it up.. I won't be able to undo it.

The 2nd processor has a bunch of areas where I accidentally exposed copper between a lot of the pins, so I don't think an unlock is possible. I may just say screw it, and force 12.5, and if i screw up, i'll use the other proc in a file server and buy two new bartons or something.

ok, enough rambling.... i'll decide this tomorrow.

:EDIT: Wait... so I can force a 12.5x multi on a regular XP1600 with pins withouth having to mod any bridges?

How? I'm really trying to understand that page, and I get the part about the multi's with the bridges, but I don't see the pin part. If i could just drop some pins in my socket, this would be so easy.

:edit2: ahh yes i see.... So i have to ground AN25 and AL25 to a nearby ground.

Last edited:
So by making the connections in red, I will achieve a locked 12.5x?
wiretrk.jpg

Originally posted by FunkDaMonkMan
I may just lock the other processor @ 12.5x, but i'm scared that if i screw it up.. I won't be able to undo it.

The 2nd processor has a bunch of areas where I accidentally exposed copper between a lot of the pins, so I don't think an unlock is possible. I may just say screw it, and force 12.5, and if i screw up, i'll use the other proc in a file server and buy two new bartons or something.

*****Yes that's a good idea to force 12.5.****

ok, enough rambling.... i'll decide this tomorrow.

:EDIT: Wait... so I can force a 12.5x multi on a regular XP1600 with pins withouth having to mod any bridges?
How? I'm really trying to understand that page, and I get the part about the multi's with the bridges, but I don't see the pin part. If i could just drop some pins in my socket, this would be so easy.

***Sorry...forgot to mention that the L1s must be closed and not grounded for the fine wire jumpers in sockets to work. But if you want to learn about the technique, look at the gray socket pic with the red line between two sockets...in the Workarounds article.
Then look at the Green circuits in the Circuits article pic, and ignore the 100 ohm resistors....the Green lines illustrate what the fine wire jumpers in the sockets do...they connect the Multiplier signal circuits to Vcore or Ground sockets...but only IF the L1s are closed and not grounded.

So if you want to force 12.5X on the 2nd 1600, then just close the 3rd and 4th L3 bridges, which are open by default...that will reset them from HI to LO so that the 5 bits will be HI-HI-LO-LO-LO for L3 bridges =
O-O-C-C-C where O = Open, C = Closed. And that code = 12.5X, check it all out.****
John C.

***Edit:- Just saw your latest post with marked up pic...congratulations...you understand the code and the wire jumpers technique...got it all correct ( for resetting a 10.5X/1600 to 12.5X)
Too bad the uncertain condition of the L1s won't let that mod work. See the circuit diagram in Palomino article to see why...open L1s do not connect the mods to the signal circuits on the CPU.*****
But at least you're up to speed on the "code/bridges/pins/sockets" and you'll know how to do the wire mod in the future if needed.

Last edited:
John C. said:

So if you want to force 12.5X on the 2nd 1600, then just close the 3rd and 4th L3 bridges, which are open by default...that will reset them from HI to LO so that the 5 bits will be HI-HI-LO-LO-LO for L3 bridges =
O-O-C-C-C where O = Open, C = Closed. And that code = 12.5X, check it all out.****

so, i'm messing with the L3's? What would happen if I just grounded the 3rd and 4th L1's like I accidentally did on the 1st one?

FunkDaMonkMan said:
so, i'm messing with the L3's? What would happen if I just grounded the 3rd and 4th L1's like I accidentally did on the 1st one?

As long as you "close" the L1s as well as ground the signal circuits there to the sub-surface ground plane, it does the same thing as closing the open L3s.
Do you see that from the circuit diagram??
But restoring a closed L3 whose pit is first insulated is cleaner/easier.
John C.

I'm physically looking at my chip right now, and my l3 bridges are OOCC ..... so i would make that OCCC? That's just modding one bridge.

If you don't mind my questions, what's your ICQ/MSN/Y!/AOL number or screen name?

FunkDaMonkMan said:
I'm physically looking at my chip right now, and my l3 bridges are OOCC ..... so i would make that OCCC? That's just modding one bridge.

Sorry again...this time I screwed up...forgot your chip is a Palomino and NOT a Tbred. So the Palomino sets the 5 bits with 4 L3s, 4 L4s, and 2 L10s while the Tbred does it with just 5 L3s...and we gave you the mod for a 1600 Tbred ( which there is none btw)...sorry.

So on a Palomino 1600/10.5X L3s/L4s/L10s L to R =
O-O-C-C O-O-C-C C-O....and for 12.5X would be =
O-O-C-C C-C-O-O C-O
(Verify in Multiplier Code article, see the pic of all model CPU bridges there, note the differences...dammit we forgot).

Which means you'd have to change all 4 L4s. Might be easier to just do the 3rd and 4th L1s on the worked-over already 1600.
John C.

So i'm am going to ahve to connect my first two L1 briges.... ground my 2nd two L1 bridges... and connect my last?

giving me CCGGC?

or will OOGGO give me the same effect?

Its going to be really hard to close those bridges... I don't know if its possible because of all the copper showing.

Last edited:
FunkDaMonkMan said:
So i'm am going to ahve to connect my first two l1 briges.... ground my 2nd two l1 bridges... and connect my last?
giving me CCGGC?

or will OOGGO give me the same effect?

Its going to be really hard to close those bridges... I don't know if its possible because of all the copper showing.

OOGGO will do the job as open L1s do not affect the Multiplier Code, HI/LO, they just do not allow the mobo/bios/jumpers to reset their bits.

All of that copper showing is probably the ground plane, so if just the bottom dot/s of the 3rd and 4th L1s connect to the ground plane then the signal circuits will be grounded...cause the bottom dots connect to the signal circuits.
If that does not work then you can connect the top dots of the 2 closed/rightmost L4s to the "L3" label on the surface nearby as all those labels are supposed to be grounded. That should also ground the 2X and 4X signal circuits...see circuit diagram/Palomino article.
John C.

FunkDaMonkMan said:
uh.. well.. i did it.. and i got a 6.5 multi. What happened?

Default 10.5X = O-O-O-O-C = L3s
Desired 12.5X = O-O-C-C-C
****Got 6.5X = O-O-O-C-C

Looks like the 3rd 2X Bit Value signal circuit is still O = Open L3 bridge (not grounded) = HI, for some reason your grounding mod did not work...film on dot/s??...other reason/s???

You've got to be able to do this simple decoding.
John C.

Back