• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dropping Packets Like Crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike2002

Registered
I just picked up a Dlink 604 router last week from BestBuy for a great price. Now when I go into the log for the router I see that it is full of pages(20 is the max it holds at once) that show dropped packets. They are dropped TCP and UDP packets from the WAN. Here is one from the log: Drop TCP packet from WAN 195.250.169.78:4169. and for the rule it says default deny. I was wondering what does this mean and is it something that I need to be worried about. IS my router losing information that I should be getting to my computer or are those dropped packets things that don't really matter. I'd appreciate any help that you guys could provide. Thanks, Mike.

Mostly likely its a connection that is attempting to connect to you without you starting it, nothing i would worry about since it was droped.

If it was from a computer pinging him, why would it say TCP and not UDP?

The example ip you gave is registered to a company in Estonia, and the web page hosted there seems pretty random. My guess is perhaps it was some spammer checking if you were an open relay or otherwise scanning you.

The example ip you gave is registered to a company in Estonia
Whoa! now that is cool. Did you simply put the IP in your browser or did you use a 'Whois' tool?

Back