• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900 120mm Fan Mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oreo_The_Cookie

I'm looking to buy the SLK-900 sometime in the next month or two. I know it supposedly only accepts 92x38mm fans but I was wondering if there was a way to attach a 120x38mm fan to it? If not is there another heatsink that would accept a 120mm fan or one that is coming out before year's end that will accept it?

Thanks guys :)

i don't know if you would get the same performance out of it...i don't know the science behind it but as you change fan sizes the static pressure changes and moves around....if your static pressure either decreases with a shroud or moves away from being effective with the heatsink...you will have worse results. I tried this by going from a 60mm fan to an 80mm on the cpu with a shroud...and got slightly worse temps. If you really want to try this then you can use any homemade shroud or you can go buy a plastic fan adapter for a dollar or 2.... www.directron.com i think sells them....

I would suggest simply getting a descent 92mm fan...thats what the heatsink was designed for and i think you'll get the best performace from it. They make a lot of models and some of the louder ones get almost as much CFM as the quieter 120mm fans. If you really need 120CFM on ur cpu...you might just want to go with watercooling ;)

Thanks for the help, I was looking more to get a 110CFM 120mm fan on there and then undervolt it so that I'd still have about 60-80CFM going over the heatsink but have a very low dba while doing so. Either way, I still have research to do on how far I can take a Athlon XP 2500+ and how much it will take to get it there before really worrying about this ;)

If you want to get between 60-80CFM, the best results you're going to get are from an 80mm fan. I know you're looking for quiet, but in all honesty, you're going to have to sacrifice something. You are basically going for almost no noise, but you're not going to get great OC/cooling results. It's kind of like having a bigger fan and smaller fan (house fans) both pushing the same amount of air. The small one would blow harder, and that would probably be the one you want blowing on you to cool you down. (I think I finally found an analogy that works! :D )

Anyway, it's all up to you. I can handle the sound of the Smart Fan II at full speed with the case open.

wouldn't the dead spot be larger too? that would increase themps, cfm ratings don't determine everthing.

you should be able to find a 92mm-120mm kit at frozencpu.com, i would worry a bit about the hub size but the the kit would help to push air to the middle of the heatsink

Not much cooling!

Hi buddy, I did the same scenario likke removing the 60mm fan and replacing it with a 80 m fan but the results are poor. No improvement at all i fixed that fan into my vga card and pulling it out the limits is very easy. so i hink the default fan is always very good rather than running to the big one. You can use that 120mm fan to do the proper air circulating in the case inside.

Re: Not much cooling!

stan03 said:
wouldn't the dead spot be larger too? that would increase themps, cfm ratings don't determine everthing.

I don't think the dead spot is larger, but the static pressure is definitely decreased.

BUBBLE said:
Hi buddy, I did the same scenario likke removing the 60mm fan and replacing it with a 80 m fan but the results are poor. No improvement at all i fixed that fan into my vga card and pulling it out the limits is very easy. so i hink the default fan is always very good rather than running to the big one. You can use that 120mm fan to do the proper air circulating in the case inside.

Well, that all depends on the CFM of the fan you replaced with the CFM of the fan you're replacing the fan with. Chances are, you got a fan with less static pressure, which is another factor in determining cooling effectiveness.

Ciffer said:
you should be able to find a 92mm-120mm kit at frozencpu.com, i would worry a bit about the hub size but the the kit would help to push air to the middle of the heatsink

I think i know what you are talking about, but can you put a link? I believe those adaptor things won't fit on an SLK, they are meant to screw into the fan holes of a "normal" heatsink, but an SLK does not have any.

Oreo_The_Cookie said:
I'm looking to buy the SLK-900 sometime in the next month or two. I know it supposedly only accepts 92x38mm fans but I was wondering if there was a way to attach a 120x38mm fan to it? If not is there another heatsink that would accept a 120mm fan or one that is coming out before year's end that will accept it?

Thanks guys :)
Hi..I did that today put in a 120mm fan on my slk900. It does fit on,using the 92mm clips putting them on the highest hole on the slk900 and it holds on pretty good. but the dead spot was to big in the middle, my cpu was about 8c hotter. i then tried the the zalman approach mounting the fan an couple of inches from the heatsink but still the same if not a little hotter not enough air pressure from it to cool the heatsink.
At moment i've gone back to my 92mm fan. still not given up just yet as the 120mm fan kicks out over 100cfm and quiet too. I'm still trying to think of away to make use of it some how.
I think what would work would be to get a 92mm fan converter 120mm that would channel the air from 120mm to 92mm and eliminate the dead spot and give better air pressure but i know of no such thing:( . got to think of a way how to make one :D

I made a duct out of galvinized metal I had laying around. I cant do any testing at the moment because my main pc is lacking in the ram department since I RMAed both sticks to Corsair. I have a 120mm Panaflo ,that I need to put a connector on the wires, that should put out a good amount of cfm. Hopefully in a week or so I can test it out and if all goes well I will talk to some friends to get a new one made out of copper. I made the duct to surround the HS down about .5 inches; total length should be around 4.5 inches to allow my 120mm fan to be mounted on the side panel of my case to draw outside air as well as funnel it to the HS. I will in turn have to drill my side panel for the 120 or rig up a cardboard side panel or make one out of flat metal to test. I think I will use the flat metal for a temporary side panel so it will be able to better support the fan and the duct.

I will try to let you know how it goes in a week or whenever I get my ram back. My temps were running in the 64c range with 2 foldings going at the same time.A little high but considering the Abit's report high temps, it was stable except for the ram problems.

Tread

Back