• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novell 5 Sever Help!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaoflux

Registered
Ok here is the deal...

I do computer work for a major Kayak company in Rhode Island. Thursday they got hit my lightning and it wiped out out alot of equipment..including there Novell Server.

The company that maintained their server is out of buisness. Being that I had takin a few corses in Novell I'd said I'd take a look. Turns out they rarely backup'd their data and one of the managers after the lightning damage started running all kinds of commands on the server.

Tree = HK_TREE
Context = HK
Server = HK5

What it looks like to me is the NDS is corrupt. Everyone can login yet nobody has search mappings or server access. At the console I've tried running DSREPAIR but get stopped by eroors -622 and -626("Object not found"). When using the advanced option in DSREPAIR like..Replica repair, REpair Local Database, it asks me to login as the Administrator. When I try to login I get the acces denied mesage.

I can login as the Administrator from the client login but when I try to login at the server console itself I get denied. There bach-up tapes are only 4MB big. So I take it that it only back-ups BID and what not, but still I can't acces the backup software since it's on the SYS volume. I'm going to try now and get the Back-up Seagate Software disk that I couldn't find there yesterday.

Usinsg the EDIT command and MONITOR through the console I can verify that the volumes and data are intact by scrolling through the directories but I have no client access.

The TIMESYNC command doesn't work since it can't talk to the
NDS.

I'm running on empty right now having gone through every book and utility I can think of. If someone has any incling of support please help this novell newbie out.

Losing my NEThair,

-ChaoFlux

:mad:

let me know if you are still working on this. I used to run a novell network and I have friends that are CNE and CNA's. I'd be happy to pass this information along.

Thanks for the reply but I got this squared away. One of my old professors a CNI gave me a hand and we were able to drop the server from the nds. By luck the server login revered to the old bindery 3.12. I was able to retreive the volume data and rebuild the server. The company is hooking me up with a few kayaks. Never been Kayaking before but since I'm going to have 3 I'm sure gonna learn. :)

Back