• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Load vs idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icantgetanyname

Registered
:confused: my idle and load temps are nearly identical.
~ 43-45*

the only guess i can make is that the heatsink isnt on as good
as possible, or the thermal compound isnt the right thickness.

but the rest of the heat is dissipated by the large HS/fan.
any other diagnosis of the symptoms ?

edit: case temps ~30 or so

Make sure you are testing the idle first and then letting whatever program you use to get it to load go for at least 10 minutes before taking that temp. as the load.

idle=when ive been away long enuf for the screen saver
load=when i just finish an hour or so of ut2003.

The best way to measure those temps is to use Prime95. Check the idle right before you run it, then run it for a few hours and record the highest temp.

Just leaving it and putting on the screensaver does not necessarily mean it'a idle. I fold 24/7 and even if I leave it overnight it's on full load the entire time.

Make sure as few programs are running as possible and kill Explorer if you have a window open.

idle temp- to get a really good idea of that, go into bios and leave it there for 15 minutes No os, nothing at all using the cpu. ;)

For load temps: a few hours of an application that uses 100% of the cpu. Seti@Home, Folding@Home and Prime95 are some of the most common apps used for this.

Back