• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tandem errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Any reason why two sticks of memory would produce 3000 memtest86 errors in test 10 together, while testing fine individually? Sticks in question are:

Corsair XMS PC3200c2 512mb
Kingston HyperX PC3500c2 512mb

It doesn't matter if timings are 2 2 2 12, 2 5 5 11, 2.5 5 5 12, etc. Vdimm is at 2.9v.

system in sig.

Last edited:
You could try taking out the DIMMs and examine the gold connectors for dirt or something. Try brushing the slots out with a synthetic brush if you suspect dust got in there.

Holy crap, the kingston just got over 2 million errors in 20 mins running at 2 2 3 7 @ 213mhz fsb. Its pc3500.. should I rma it? Or could it be the board? I don't have an adequate board to test 213mhz fsb so...

Its been going for about 17mins at 2 3 3 7 @210fsb with no errors. This is better than the corsair (barely 200fsb), but I didn't really buy pc3500 to run less than spec.

Still no clue as to why when both sticks are installed they produce errors even at 190fsb.

VDD is at 1.84v btw.

I'll try that suggestion!

Last edited:
How do your voltage readings look? If your using an Antec 350W PSU you may be close to your limit with your CPU@ 2.3Ghz and a 9700 Pro which is very power hungry.

My other suggestions would be a possible bios update? Or maybe try using different dimm slots.

Yeah I just tested the psu with a voltometer last night while prime95 AND 3d mark were running together. The voltages were rock solid and within the reasonable amounts of deviation. I tested the corsair again and it produced no errors at 205 fsb. I've been testing the kingston in my kt400 at 166fsb, and didn't produce any errors. I redid the test on my 8rda+ at 166fsb just to make sure it wasn't the motherboard. No errors so far.

got the newest bios as well..

Re-testing the kingston again at fsb speeds of 190+ to confirm the bad stick before I bring it back to best buy.

Last edited:
Good god, now the corsair is locking up memtest at 200fsb 2 3 3 6. So much for a thing called consistancy. So, its either BOTH sticks are crap, or the motherboard is insane. Based on the past troubles its given me so far, I'm leaning towards the mb. I guess I'll just get an NF-7s v2. If that doesn't do it, I'll RMA both sticks of ram. If that doesn't do it, I'll go office space on em.

*edit* Strange, I just noticed that memtest will lock up at EXACTLY 5 minutes 50 seconds with the corsair.

I guess 3 different sticks of ram can't lie. 2 of them are pc3200 and 1 is pc3500. All of them get memtest errors on the 8rda+ at spec or lower. pc3500 gets errors much below spec. Just ordered a new nf7, bios kit, slk 800u, tornado 80mm, and arctic ceramique from excaliberpc.com. I slapped all my memory in my other system for the time being. mm 1.5gb for rendering.

Last edited:
have you tried flashing back to an older bios? When I flashed the latest bios for my mobo I got some strange problems.

Back