• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lap A P4???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

I saw a pic of this on this forum a couple months ago when i just joined and thought it was nuts... but now that ive been here a while things have changed:D anyway, is this a good idea? should it be done, or is it really pointless for the ?one or two degree? difference?

Pointless if you plan on doing this by hand. In fact, if you do it by hand, it might even make it worse since hand sanding can hardly be called a precision proccess.

If you've got precision machinery that can guarantee you a flat surface for both your CPU and heatsink, it might be worth doing.

Most lapping uses dishsoap and water. Soap, water, and aluminum particles will get into the airhole on top of the heatspreader. That doesnt sound very healthy to me.

Even with dry sandpaper. stuff would still get inside. Seems like an all around bad idea imho.

Back