• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a water chiiler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I have been reading some posts hee and i see you mention water chillers a lot and i have no idea what they are. Can somebody explain to me what a water chiller is, how it works, what it does, and hot make 1 or get 1 and if t can be using in conjuction with an MCX462+T.

A water chiller is simply any type of refrigeration that cools your coolant to low temperatures. Most common are mini-fridges (NOT the ones that use pelts! You need a real compressor fridge.)

A water chiller can get your cpu temp extremely low depending on the capacity of the refrigeration system and the way it is configured.

There are two common configurations:
heat exchange
direct chill

In a heat exchange system the pc coolant is kept in a closed loop but passed through the chiller- liquid/liquid is more efficient than liquid/air. Advantage to this setup is that the antifreeze used has no way to escape the system and stink up the room. :) But it is less efficient than direct chill.

Direct Chill- coolant goes into a reservoir in the chiller and is then pumped back to the pc. Advantage- lower temps are possible with a "weaker" fridge as the coolants stay-time in the chiller is longer. Disadvantage: the chiller itself MUST be airtight so that antifreeze odor (which is horrible and not healthy) cannot enter the room.

Either method is capable of getting the cpu temp well below ambient so requires the same insulation as using a Pelt or Phase Change system.

Whoa! You've got a an active aircooled device.

Sure you can use it for cooling water by putting on a big heatsink on the coldside and sticking it in a well insulated bucket.

However since you need something that will pump the water to your CPU you will have add another heatsource for the MCX to cool. Then you have heat losses in all hoses insulation, the bucket insulation et.c. All in all the waterchiller will preform worse than direct on die... in a 24/7 scenario.

If you prechill the water and have a big reservoir (think like 35 liters (approx 10 gallon)) you can for a few hours enjoy cooler temps than direct on CPU mounting. Then you must leave the cooler on for the non use time to allow it to "catch up"

Many water chillers are perfectly capable of keeping up with the heat load. Many minifridges arent, but we dont always have to use those now do we?

I have a haake refrigearted water bath that I use that works fine for 24/7 use, tems are constant and comparable to a vapochill se (exept it gets my vid card too :D )

I did a Google search for that water bath and the cheapest one I saw was close to $2k... You can get a mini-fridge for $50, so is a bath really that much better... I mean it's not as if you're going to get a 1,000% overclock with it. :)

Back