• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trouble looping DVD player to computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Barton

hey everybody, i hooked my DVD player into my computer, i get sound, but no video? is there any software or anything i need to get? its a sony DVD player, hooked it to my video card via s-video and hooked up the RCA's too, i can use a video editor to watch the movie, but i dont wanna see toolbars while im watching. any good software out there i should be looking for?

You may want to check with the manufacturer and make sure the card supports other programs to playback the input. What software are you using to play DVD's now? Windows Media Player? You might just need to download a codec for it work with a picture. PowerDVD is a good player to get.

What is the make of Video card you are using. Are you sure that your card is equipped with an S-Video in jack as well as an out jack? Some just have an output jack.

Al

Maximouse said:
What is the make of Video card you are using. Are you sure that your card is equipped with an S-Video in jack as well as an out jack? Some just have an output jack.

Al

If he can hear it and see it on a video editor- then i would say its an input.

My guess is the codecs too. I've had a few problems, but installing divx and powerdvd cleared most- all of them up
~Bobb

What video card are you using? For AIW cards, using the TV program set for S-Video input will work just fine. If it's not, I don't know what program you'll have to use. I've never heard of WMP showing what comes through an S-Video jack. A video editor works because it's previewing the source video, which would normally be a video camera (in this case a DVD player). You don't need codecs, you need a program that will display input from an S-Video connector. I don't know of any besides video editors and the TV program for AIW cards. As I don't know what you're doing this for, I'll just go ahead and say: copying DVDs in this manner is just as illegal as decrypting them and ripping them, so be warned. I'm not assuming this is what you're doing, but I have a particular problem with helping people do things that are clearly wrong. As there are possible legal applications for what you're doing (want to watch a DVD, but don't have a DVD drive in your computer nor a TV in the room), I gave my suggestions. Hopefully you're doing this for good, not evil. If it's for evil, please don't say so, as you'll just be warned by a mod.

Z

oh no im not copying DVDs, i just dont have a DVD-ROM on my computer, and since my sony was sitting there collecting dust, due to the fact that my good TV is now in the big dumpster in the sky, i couldnt hook it up to anything. i have a geforce4 ti4800se, which has s-video in and s-video out. i just want a program that will let me play my DVDs just as if i had a DVD-ROM installed on my rig. i went to radioshack today and bought the RCA-in so i could hook up RCA's to my soundcard. it shows in the owners manual for the video card that i could hook my DVD player to my video card, but thats all it says....doesnt say anything about which program to use to get it to work properly.

I guess there's a possibility that PVR programs will work, but I don't suggest shelling out 50+$ just to see if it works. Try and find a demo if you can. What kind of screen do you have? If you have S-Video in on the monitor, you can hook it up directly, I think. I've seen it done too, but I never asked how. Have you checked the disks that came with your video card to see if there's software that'll do it or a more detailed description of how to do it? If all else fails, email the manufacturer, tell them that it's advertised in the manual, and you want to know how to do it.

Z

zachj said:
As I don't know what you're doing this for, I'll just go ahead and say: copying DVDs in this manner is just as illegal as decrypting them and ripping them, so be warned. I'm not assuming this is what you're doing, but I have a particular problem with helping people do things that are clearly wrong. As there are possible legal applications for what you're doing (want to watch a DVD, but don't have a DVD drive in your computer nor a TV in the room), I gave my suggestions. Hopefully you're doing this for good, not evil. If it's for evil, please don't say so, as you'll just be warned by a mod.

Z

I have a question about this- i understood that it wasn't illegal to copy dvds- just to distribute them to other people. Meaning, you can legally make a copy under the Fair Use act <or whatever> and use it for yourself, or am i wrong. Sorry for the off topic, but its a concern of mine as i'm buying my tv tuner card today...
~Bobb

dudomann said:

I have a question about this- i understood that it wasn't illegal to copy dvds- just to distribute them to other people. Meaning, you can legally make a copy under the Fair Use act <or whatever> and use it for yourself, or am i wrong. Sorry for the off topic, but its a concern of mine as i'm buying my tv tuner card today...
~Bobb

I believe that to be true. I copy my DVDs (DVD-RW) for a couple of reasons: 1) So I can take out that annoying FBI warning screens that you generally can't skip past and 2) So that I don't scratch the originals. I don't distribute, and I was under the impression that what I'm doing is perfectly legal.

I think it's illegal because to do it, you have to crack the enncryption of a DVD (if you rip them). If you just play a movie in a DVD player and copy it using your computer like you would a VCR, I don't know if that's illegal or not. It doesn't seem like copying a DVD is any more illegal than copying a CD if it's for private use, but it's probably not something that should be discussed further. The whole topic is right on the line.

Z

zachj said:
I guess there's a possibility that PVR programs will work, but I don't suggest shelling out 50+$ just to see if it works. Try and find a demo if you can. What kind of screen do you have? If you have S-Video in on the monitor, you can hook it up directly, I think. I've seen it done too, but I never asked how. Have you checked the disks that came with your video card to see if there's software that'll do it or a more detailed description of how to do it? If all else fails, email the manufacturer, tell them that it's advertised in the manual, and you want to know how to do it.

Z

i have an old 17" KDS monitor, shes about 5 years old and still kickin'. if there was an s-video-in i wouldnt have this issue. i have tried all of the software that came with my video card to no avail. i downloaded divx 5.0.5 and that didnt solve it either. i dont wanna go out and blow $50 on software for this reason...is there any good freeware out there for this?

dudomann said:

My guess is the codecs too. I've had a few problems, but installing divx and powerdvd cleared most- all of them up

I think he is using a standalone DVD player hooked up to an svideo input jack on his card. Codecs would have nothing to do with that type of signal. He needs some type of tv tuner/capture equipped program to use that kind of signal. Something like Dscaler might help.

Sir Barton, Try this Website. I find it quite helpful.
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
Al

Back