• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burn-in suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

breez

11x220MHz with the system in sig seems stable so far (+12 hours of Prime95...). Pushing the CPU to 2.25 or 2.3 GHz would be my target (assuming burn-in works in my case). What safe Vcore would you suggest using for 6-10 hours burn-in for few nights? 5x100MHz would be the clockspeed to keep temps as low as possible.

edit: And what program should be used? Prime95 torture test or CPUBurn?

Last edited:
Low Vcore does nothing for burn-in. Basic rule of thumb is that high voltage and low temperature causes the 'burn-in' effect. My board allows 2.3V, but I doubt it's safe even if only burning-in for a few nights.

Ditto Madcow, burning in is a myth.

I've havn't been able to achieve any higher an OC.

Of course, while seeing if I could, I found out I could run my comp at default Vcore instead of jacked 1.8, but this was frustrated tweaking, not a sudden OC increase.

-Jeff

I don't know if I believe in it or not, but it never hurts to try :) I think I'll be running burn-in with 2.15 Vcore and use CPUBurn program.

Michfan said:

Agreed. Who came up with this theory originally anyways?

Burn in:
The process of exercising an integrated circuit at elevated voltage and temperature. This process accelerates failures normally seen as "infant mortality" in a chip. (Those chips that would fail early during actual usage will fail during burn-in. Those that pass have a life expectancy much greater than that required for normal usage.)

And this was required with older systems...at least a 24 hour burn in period...so it is not a myth...but it is good to do, to make sure the hardware is not going to fail before your warranty is up...better to have it go out durning that period of time then after...and yes...some people do see a improvement in performance and some people do not...

Also...older sticks of samsung and a few other companys...running a burn in process did improve the rams OCing performance...

I have done a burn-in that allowed my 1700 to go from 2.4Ghz to 2530Mhz...so I dont really think it is a myth.

Oh yeah, and uhh what glock said is true...:p

It's not a myth and it still works for memory too in most cases. I suggest putting your cpu at very slow speed and putting the Vcore as high as you can.. also i would use TOAST, it works the cpu much harder than Prime95. You can get it at www.majorgeeks.com

Would 2.3V damage it too easily? I'm a bit afraid to run it at that voltage. I'll try TOAST if it gets higher temps than CPUBurn program (which gets higher than Prime95).

With 10x220MHz 1.95V and room temp 30C:

Prime95: 54C
TOAST: 56C
CPUBurn: 57.5C

Based on ~5 min quick test per program. I think i'll use CPUBurn for the nightly burn-in.

Also, I couldn't even post at 1.9ghz with my 1600+, after burning and tweaking, I was stable @ 1.9ghz, probably limited to my fsb because I never unlocked the chip.

5 minutes is not long enough to get a good temp reading...try more along the line of 15 minutes or so...but also remember...you need to run it for 24 to 48 hours cont. for a burn in to work...or if you can not do that...then just burn it in at the same setting for a week straight...then see if that helps...

the best way to burn a CPU in is...find its highest stable Mhz and voltage...then back it down 2 to 5% of that Mhz setting...the up the voltage to the max...in your case...I would only go up to 2.1 max....then burn it in for 24 to 48hours straight...if you can not do that...then do what I stated above...then after the burn in...go back to you max OC from before and see if you can max it any farther...sometimes this works...sometimes it doesn't...but if done correctly...a lot of times you will find out that you can go past your max and be stable...

Back