• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help please got a 600mhz duron.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven4563

ive got a 600mhz duron and i need a good cheap motherboard to overclock it with but it needs to be able to take sdram

are the KT266 chipset boards any good ???

KT266's are your best bet. :) They would fit your needs VERY well. I suggest getting one that has sdram and ddr ram slots-cheap, and offers upgradability later on.

whoah whoah whoah!
STOP!
KT266 chipsets take DDR memory!
KT133A is probably the best SDRAM chipset available now. I recomend finding a used board in the forums, you can get them very cheap and this way someone can sell theres which most likely isn't being used. Boards I'd reccomend would be boards from Abit, Asus, Epox, Gigabyte and MSI. I'd stay away from ECS boards, they are good budget boards but they don't OC as well as the others mentioned.

The Shuttle AK32A has the KT266 chipset, and can use either SDRAM or DDR SDRAM.
I set a friend up with one, and it has been reliable.

Actually KT266 can use either DDR or SDRAM, a lot of boards had only the DDR sockets onboard, but there were quite a few with both DDR and SDRAM sockets, 2 of each. So if you want a KT266 make sure it has SDRAM sockets.

The SiS735 chipset outperforms the KT266 however and is available on the K7S5A motherboard from ECS with 2DDR 2SDRAM sockets, but is unfortunately limited in overclocking options. However, for overclocking a duron it is okay, because pencilling in multipliers and voltages is easy on the duron and with an "overclocking BIOS" flashed to it a reasonable range of FSB values are available also. These boards can be got very cheaply.

regards,

Road Warrior

can i say this is for my g/f so i want a good board for overclocking but i also dont want to have to mod the motherboard i might go with a kt266 chipset motherboard

Back