• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UDP and Port Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

I'm really new to the world of broad band an LANs. What I'm trying to figure out is if port 6112 allows UDP out or if it's restricted by my ISP. Yes, I could call them, but is there any way i can get a list of open / closed / restricted ports currently associated with my connection?

Thanks!
-Ish-

Ishakir said:
Hello guys,

I'm really new to the world of broad band an LANs. What I'm trying to figure out is if port 6112 allows UDP out or if it's restricted by my ISP. Yes, I could call them, but is there any way i can get a list of open / closed / restricted ports currently associated with my connection?

Thanks!
-Ish-

just out of curiousity, what is it that you are trying to do that needs port 6112 for udp out?

Very good xtrmeocr :) you are dead on.

Starcraft to be exact, my little brother plays that game and was kind of upset when he found that he could not host games. He could, although connect just fine.

Thanks for your input guys!

No router. The connection is coming out of the wall and straight into this computer. I'm beginning to think that it's the ISP that has restricted these ports? Not sure if that is possible. No one can direct connect to me nor can I host any games. I'm not behind any firewall currently, will put that up later tonight.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
-Ish-

If its plugged straight into his computer then you don't need to forward. I seriously doubt your ISP is blocking it, ISPs usually only stoop to block things that are truly bothersome.

A way to check though would be to have some other person or computer on the Internet scan yours and see if that port comes up blocked.

Called the internet provider today and it turns out that they DO block ports. I'm assuming its almost all of them since I can't host a thing. They did say, however, that if I got a fixed IP, that I'd be able to control the ports. Think this'd be worth getting (an increase of $10.00 per month).

Unfortunately, this is the only broadband provider in my area (wireless) and nothing is coming to the area any time soon.

Thanks for the help,
Ish

When you phoned them up, did you specifically mention udp 6112?

Many isps block ports for ones that have caused alot of trouble (80/tcp incoming, 135-139/tcp). It seems odd that they would cover that port.

They didn't say what ports exactly, is there any way to check which ports are free besides having someone scan me? No one is currently available to do that right now for me.

i'm betting since this a wireless ISP they are giving you a NAT'd IP. So its basicly all incoming ports are blocked. Its unfortunate its your only boradband option :\

out of curiosity does your ip start with 10. or 192. or 172. ?

ip's in the 192 rage are non-routable addresses used for private use. basicly you have to decide if the ability to host servers is worth the $10 a month. if it is then they will probably give you a static public IP.

Back