• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking book?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dowmace

Hi All I'm currently writing a book about overclocking and a rig building 101 kind of book, does anyone have any tips of what to put in the book or anything youguys would like to see in the book? thanks in advance

would this be sold in a book store, or is it just a compilation for future reference?

History of computer advances starting with the first Pentium (if you're going into detail. Otherwise, start out with WWII computers and go through that stuff swiftly). Follow the advances through the bus (33,66,100,133,166,200), RAM, hard drives (including floppies before hard drives started), particular interfaces like SCSI, ATA, USB, Serial and Parallel, etc.

Detail modern computer systems, starting with the PIII. Include dual CPU rigs up to Opteron and Xeon (mention Itanium and RISC based processors [yes, include Apple], but don't go into too much detail).

Include information on specific steppings and revisions (P4 A,B,C,D) and why they were important to the development of that particular piece of hardware (detail more than just CPUs . . . graphics cards too).

Go into overclocking, system building, SMP systems.

Give a buying guide.

Give a detailed synopsis of chipsets, as they're the most important aspect of a good system today.

Compare building one's own machine to buying an OEM such as a Dell or HP.

I find that the main reason people buy Dells is because they don't know what's good and what's bad. You'll probably find that people buy the fastest processor available, get as much RAM as possible, buy the largest hard drive, and then skimp on the other things. Suggest ways they can avoid doing that without keeping up with hardware trends.

Tell them why salespeople suck when it comes to asking what you need. Tell them to avoid the Celerons of the world and how to pick them out of a crowd.

That's a start.

I think if this is going to a book store, I'd really be tempted to pick it up only if it went into a lot of detail. Not to be haughty or anything, but I'm more advanced than the "how to build a PC" books out there right now. If you goal is to sell to people like you'll find on these forums, do the oposite of dumbing it down, whatever that is (smart it up?). If you're trying to write one to the "I don't know about computers" crowd, then dumb it down to the basic levels and disregard the stuff I said about steppings and whatnot.

That ought to take about a month or two if you're dedicated:D

Z

wow good luck with your book... sounds like a fun idea... i am sure that you could learn a decent amount of stuff too... only problem is trying to keep the book up to date cause you all know how computer technology is these days...

Keeping a book up to date is going to be very hard, as the current information changes so quickly. Nevertheless, good luck to you!

The book is going to be sold in stores,.like newegg and such, it's not going to be a whats good and whats not type of book, it's going to be mainly like a whats what in your bios kinda thing

Back