• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good idea for a duct mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconscious

Registered
Hey, I'm new to the cooling forum, and pretty new to these forums in general. I just got a Vantec Aeroflow yesterday and the TMD fan died instantly, basically I don't trust the fan anymore and I'd like to make a nice duct mod for the aeroflow.

I'm thinking of taking the shape from end of a 2 liter bottle (on suggestion from someone in the OC forum) to funnel the air from a 120mm 100+ cfm fan right onto the heatsink. Any ideas on whether it would be better or worse performance than the 35.5 cfm TMD fan it comes with?

IT will obviously be better. More airflow = more cooling power. Just make sure that air is comming from outside of the case...which is 99% of the time cooler.

How should I get the air from outside the case? Would it work if I had a small duct going from the 120mm fan to the heatsink, then a large duct going from the 120mm fan to the 80mm fan that's sucking air from outside the case?

I thought you had a 120MM fan in the back for exhaust. Since I see that you dont...you could either do as you had planned, which will still cool better since its moving more air...or you could modify the case to hold the fan somewhere.

Would I get better results with a 120mm exhast fan and a duct straight to the heatsink, or how I mentioned earlier with an 80mm exhaust fan ducted to a 120mm fan, ducted to the heatsink? would the 80 on top of the 120 create any more air flow or would it inhibit it?

subconscious said:
Would I get better results with a 120mm exhast fan and a duct straight to the heatsink, or how I mentioned earlier with an 80mm exhaust fan ducted to a 120mm fan, ducted to the heatsink? would the 80 on top of the 120 create any more air flow or would it inhibit it?

the 80 on top of the 120 would restrict flow... the 120 in the back of the case will improve temps, yes...becuase its pulling in cooler air, and the CPU wont be able to heat up the air fast enough to make a difference in case temps.

The best thing to do is to cut a hole in the side of the case where the heatsink is. You can duct it, but when you do, you lose some efficiency due to turbulence. If it was up to me, i'd cut the hole, then duct it if needed, although i don't think you'll need it. a 120mm fan can move quite a bit of air, and it'll probably help with cooling everything else too.

Well, basically my goal is to get the best cooling on my chip with whatever system of ducting and connecting fans that works with minimum noise level and without punching holes in my nicely painted case. I have 2 80mm exhaust slots in back, and one 120mm intake fan slot under my hard drive. There are holes in the case just under the 120mm slot. I also have a vantec aeroflow, but I'm taking off the 70mm TMD fan that only does 35 cfm cause my other TMD fan died and I just don't trust it to protect my chip.

Any ideas on ways to get the most cooling for the chip so I can OC it?

Back