• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeze ups during gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I am not sure if this is in the right catagory or not.

I have upgraded to a ATI 9500 Pro and with every game I own it freezes up on me,but only during game playing.
The vid card is not overclocked,and I am using the latest calalyst drivers,but I was using the CD drivers first,and I did uninstall the old drivers first.
I am not sure if it is the vid card or not,sometimes I get through an hour or two before it freezes,or it could happen a few minutes into the game.
My PS voltages seem ok..

Any ideas would be helpful.
I have disabled the fast write for AGP but it still is doing it..

Thanks

I think the card might be getting to hot and making your computer freeze. Try putting a fan next to the video card above it or use a pci fan to cool it. I think that might be the problem.

Super Nintendo said:
I think the card might be getting to hot and making your computer freeze. Try putting a fan next to the video card above it or use a pci fan to cool it. I think that might be the problem.

Yeah I did that too,the side is off with a fan blowing on the card:(

Mine does this also. After reading many threads online, I have come to the conclusion... ATI has bugs or the games do. My comp has locked up randomly during gaming ever sense I put my ATI in there. It's not heat, it's coding, or settings. I noticed I played one game that was OPENGL for like 5 hours, D3d crashes in like 5 minutes. Try the omega drivers, and disable FAST WRITES if you can that might help. It's not the card phyiscally, cause many people are having the same problems. Make sure you have a 300W PSU, and make sure the video cable has a STRAIGHT connection to the PSU with no other device on that power chain.

I had bought a new 9800 pro and it was doing the same thing to me. I was going crazy trying to fix it. I evan RMA 2 cards. After i got the third card i changed my ps and all my issues went away. I had a Antec 420 watt power supply and i up gradded to a Vantec Stealth 530 and all of my issues whent away and my PC has not locked up since while playing a game. To test this I un pluged everthing but the core copontens for my pc. When I only had my 9800 1-hd 1-cd rom and my water cooling plugged in tho the power supply it ran fine but as soon as I Hooked up my outhe 2 HDs CD/rw, and 3 case fans it started to lock up with the smaller power supply.

Have you tried to up the voltages on the agp slot any? My 9500 is very tempermental when it comes to voltages for some reason. I would agree it might be some ati bug in some cards.

I havent messed with the voltage for the AGP slot.
I did change the wire from the vid card with a more direct root to the PS,but it didn't help.I cannot believe a 400 watt Antec PS isn't enough to run this card,I have a new 430 True Power in the box I guess I will try it.
As far as drivers I have tryed the Omega drivers also.
Man I thought I was doing the right thing switching from Nvidia to Radeon,may have to send it back and get something eles..ARG

Try looking in BIOS to see if you have AGP fast write enabled, if so try disabling it. Also make sure other video settings like caching and such are correct. Also make sure you have agp 8x on if you have an agp 8x card. Good Luck!

Matt

I still cannot figure it out,I guess I will have to send it back to NewEgg..ARG

For what it's worth, after putting the 9700np into the WinXP system it reboots the computer if I try just moving the view window in Premiere 6 with any Audio tracks expanded. So I tend not to expand too many tracks now :/

Problem solved:)

It was all because of a fan,it still spun but it was starting to freeze up,it finally got real hot and quit and I disconnected the fan and all is fine.It was a brand new Sunon fan pulling air into the front of the case,got it replaced and no more problems,it must have been drawing a lot of juice,since i have changed it gaming has been fun again.

I want to thank you all for the info..

Dave

Back