• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor 160GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vakkert_regn

Registered
I recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB Hard Drive. I tried to install it on my old PC but it would only support 127GB, which is normal I guess with older mother boards. I am just curious if the ABIT NF7-S supports over that or if I will still need to do something else?

Compman55 said:
Any board that has 48bit LBA will support larger than 127GB. Check their website.

Yep, most new motherboards work.

Compuman55, Kill your sig! it's huuuge! :eek:

Graphic67 said:
With windows XP you will need one ATAPI driver patch from microsoft which will be part of the upcoming SP2. The linked page is named for another problem, but the new driver will allow you to format and use the space over 128GB (137 billion bytes): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;331958

Good link.

Take note this is a problem with the way hardware address single disks. RAID arrays which exceed 128 Gig are not affected if the individual disks are smaller than 128 Gig, and usually new RAID cards will have no problem using 128+ gig disks.

Cjwinnit...

I had to use that driver along with up-to-date highpoint raid drivers in order to use my WD160 on the raid controller. The correct size of the drive was reported to windows, but everytime I tried to format past the physical 128GB point, the format process would stall. The new drivers COMBINED fixed the problem.

Graphic67 said:
Cjwinnit...

I had to use that driver along with up-to-date highpoint raid drivers in order to use my WD160 on the raid controller. The correct size of the drive was reported to windows, but everytime I tried to format past the physical 128GB point, the format process would stall. The new drivers COMBINED fixed the problem.

Strange..

with my Promise RAID controller I gave it a BIOS flash so it would work as a normal ATA controller, it could be that the BIOS update inluded the fix. It worked fine in ME...

Back