• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

surround sound noob please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceyWilly

I just got my rear speakers connected to my comp and so far the only sound I can get out of them is exactly the same as what's coming out of my front speakers. Is there any way to get dolby pro logic type sound out of my computer?

I have an A7V8X mobo using integrated sound to get 4.1 sound.

You need to change your speaker setting in your sound control panel from 2 speaker to 4 speaker.

-Bobby

no, the speakers work ok, but the sound coming out of them is the same as the sound coming from my front speakers. The only way I've been able to change this is using the preloaded environment effects which take the front speakers' inputs and add echoes or something to them in the rear. These are pretty boring and I'd like to be able to have 4 COMLETELY DIFFERENT channels instead of just 2x2=4 like I have now.

Have you tested the surround sound with a game, video, or program that uses surround sound? If you run the "speaker test" functions of the sound card you will only get the same sound out of each of the four speakers. Additionally, music generally plays on all four speakers without variance so you wouldn't be able to hear the difference either.

Wedo

When you go into sound and audio, click on the advanced button under Speakers and then select Quadraphonic Sound (4 speakers)

Now test them as Wedo said.

-Bobby

it's on quadraphonic in games there is no sound at all out of the back speaks, but in my tv program and winamp (using a plugin) I get 2 channelsx2.

Unless you use a Dolby Digital decoder, your rear channels won't be seperate. Have you tried different setting in the game?

-Bobby

I switched over to an old sound card I had that I thought was crap but it turns out it supports EAX2 which is what gets you the 4 channels in warcraft. So now im happy.

Back