• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.4c philipines. any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It could be good, it could be bad. There's really no way to say with any certainly how well it will do without actually running it in a system.

You guys are freaking me out. I just got it, and i'm thinking about returning it. I don't have all the parts to actually check the oveclock (ie memory psu). Should return it

My friend got one of those...

He got it to post and go to windows at 3.4Ghz+ however I think he gave it too much voltage. He says the max he went is 1.725v

Now the CPU won't even run stable at 2.4ghz and default voltage.

I think 1.7v is just too much when this CPUs max vcore should be 1.525

He took it back to the store. They didn't belive him there is something wrong with the chip so they have to test it and when they find out is fu*ed he should be getting a replacement.

thats wrong. You should ring that store and tell them what he's done to the cpu.

-Sigh- I think this is about the time a mod tells saulin not to post anything about frauding/cheating stores. It's just plain wrong, just about as bad as stealing.

Well they oviously would know that those CPUs don't come like that. They sure as hell should run stable at default speed.

I guess they will know he overclocked it too high or over voltaged it. But they told him if they find the CPU to be bad they will actually exchange it.

But see if it was ok at first, then he ran it o/ced with 1.727V and then now it won't run at stock, that's his problem. And he should not be trying to switch the CPU because it "doesn't run stable at stock".

man its just a draw of luck i got a philly chip 2.4c rite now and i'm running 279fsb stable with stock vcore. I wouldn't return it cause i hate paying money for shipping and wasting time

All things being equal, the philly chips should have the same potential to overclock as malay chips, but I haven't done enough research on the issue to really be sure. There seems to be a lot of divisiveness on the matter. The most intelligent thing I can say is that your chip has a chance of being able to overclock well, just as any chip does. Malaysian chips are rumored to be the best overclockers, but I wouldn't use it as a rule of thumb; there have been numerous successful o/cs with philly chips too. All this is making me want a philly cheesesteak. Mmm. Anyway I have heard some horror stories about philly chips as well as success stories.

Luck of the Draw...
there's no certainty that it will or wont overclock well. The day that All Philly chips overclock bad will be the day i'll tell you that there bad... but until then... try your luck.... i've seen people hit 3.4ghz on stock Vcore, one hit 3.5 and another 3.6ghz (3.7 on water).. all from philly chips...
If someone tells you that Philly chips are bad... then tell them to explain the good ones around.

People have just been getting better results from the Malay chips, so its the 'safer' way to go with overclocking.. but even that wont guarantee you a great overclock!

Last edited:
These types of threads are what perpetuates the myths of chips from a certain place being good or bad.

There's a lot more to o/c'ing than the chip's origin. If you have crap memory or motherboard or psu, you won't get the most out of the cpu. Does that mean your cpu is a bad o/c'er? Of course not. Use the chip and if you really want to find the true potential, get good memory, motherboard and psu.

-Bobby

Hmmm... well, I tried running it at combinations of 3:2, 2.85V, 3-4-4-8, 2.3-3-7 and just about everything else...

Back