• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2800+ problem: horribly underclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bahnsen

Registered
hey guys. I'm a long time reader, first time submitter. I have a problem. I just build a machine with these specs: 300 watt power supply, AMD 2800+ barton core with 333 FSB, ASUS A7N8X deluxe mainboard, 1 gig pc2700 double data rate corsair xms ram (2x512), etc. Now here's the problem. The stock speed for the 2800 is somewhere in the vicinity of 2 gighz. That's really nice. Mine however, is only 1.2!!!! Now, I'm not too secure with my overclocking knowledge, but I think something's defectiv. I reset my CMOS to the original settings, and it didn't make any changes.

Here's the bios specs:

CPU external freq. - 100Mhz
freq. multiple - 12.5x
memory freq. - 166 Mhz 5 2 2 2t
FSB spread spectrum - .50%
CPU VCore - 1.650V

So, I don't know what to think. All the jumpers are checked and double checked, and I don't know what to do. Is there any hope for my machine?

100% sync

I did. It drops the memory speed to 100 Mhz, which is suprising.

umm, disable the spread spectrum, and try the 12x multiplier w/ fsb at 166, i'd also suggest getting a bigger power supply, though it dosn't have much to do w/ your problem, i have a feeling it has to do w/ what multiplier steppings you can use, i'd ask someone else w/ a 2800 what the default multiplier is, if it's 12.5 or below you use the lower, if it's 13.0 and up, you use the higher value

is that deluxe a version 2.0 w/ bios 1005? check under
start, programs, accessories, systoom tools, system information

if it is a 2.0 1005, out of the box the jumpers should be set to 333/400, if not, you'll have to move that jumper

OK. I don't have an FSB setting, but i do have a CPU external frequency setting (the options are 100, 133, 166, and 333), so i'm guessing that's teh FSB. So I set that at 166, and I also disabled Spread spectrum. Well, when i started it up, it got to the windows login screen and then shut off. weird. The processor fan started whirring like there was no tomorrow, so my guess is that it was the mb shutting off the system to protect it. So, now i gotta clear cmos. But i'll make those changes again and see what happens. Oh, and yes it is the 1005 revision and the jumpers are in the right places. (btw, thanx for your help Molester). :)

I have a 2800, the default mult. is 12.5

I have noticed with some Abit mobos when you 1st power on a new rig it comes up @ 1.2ghz. I have to go into the bios and change it over to the 2800 settings manualy. I have put together 11 rigs using the Barton 2800 chip and I would say that I had to do this on atleast on 6 of the rigs.

no prob.
the external clock is the fsb, you're right

have you changed the heatsink, or did you put the h/s on, may not be seated correctly or too little or too much compound, in bios, what are the temp readings under hardware monitor?

check all your connections as well, disconnect your drives, make sure both memory sticks are in the blue slots, if you have an agp video card, change the first option under the advanced bios features in bios, then try again

First off, you guys are awesome. I would be in a world of hurt without Molester and Rokk1972.

OK, well i did what you suggested, and it worked fine, for a minute. It was at 2.09, which is much nicer. However, it did that trick where just shuts off. And i have to reclear the cmos to get it back running. So, what does that mean? Is that my mobo pulling the kill switch? And Rokk1972, what are the 2800 settings that you've had to put in? Are they the 166 FSB and spread spectrum disable?
Umm, I don't think the heatsink is off. It seemed to go on fine and i didn't put too much compound on it.
The temps are a normal. The temp has never reached 80 C, and is usually not over 75 C. But the machine shuts off before I have had the time to check it with the new settings. Any ideas?

well, even getting to 65c is way hot, again, i'd try reseating your heatsink, and use some arctic silver 3, even if you don't have ac3, you can still go to http://www.arcticsilver.com for good instructions, shutting down like that is usually do to instability, so maybe up the vcore by .25(you'll have to change the vcore setting to "menu"), keep fsb at 166 and multiplier to 12.5, i am sure that's the default(assuming it's a barton), set memory to "By SPD", disable fastwrites(bottom of advanced chipset), then take two pills, and let me know what happened

EDIT: also, put all your specs in your signature("user cp" at top of screen, then "Edit Profile")

it should already be set(even if you clear bios), but in the last menu under advanced, make sure the first option is set to "auto[ESCD]"

I made all those changes, and it won't even get to the loading screen. It keeps shutting off. And the processor cooling fan makes a crazy loud sound. I've even reseated my heatsink, and it sits like a used car salesman in a lazyboy. Is it because of heat or the Vcore?

time for a bigger power supply, sounds exactly like the problem, i'd get at least a 400w, i'd suggest antec, everyone else here will too, in the bios, under the hardware monitor, list all the voltage read-outs

EDIT: tell me what the vcore is set at also

bahnsen said:

The temps are a normal. The temp has never reached 80 C, and is usually not over 75 C.

Yeah those aren't normal! Try what molester said indefinitely. I've had temps like that before... it was when my peltier didn't work and it just had a block of aluminum to try and dissapate the heat. If reseating and re applying the compound doesn't work.. what kind of hs do you have? A piece of wood? :p Kidding..

*edit* oh you guys are doing this faster than I can type a post up.

Tyranos said:

Yeah those aren't normal! Try what molester said indefinitely. I've had temps like that before... it was when my peltier didn't work and it just had a block of aluminum to try and dissapate the heat. If reseating and re applying the compound doesn't work.. what kind of hs do you have? A piece of wood? :p Kidding..

*edit* oh you guys are doing this faster than I can type a post up.

hahaha, yeah, list your heatsink, may need an upgrade, alot of ppl will recommend the thermalright slk800, i personally recommend what i got(listed in sig), it's very quiet and temps under load don't go over 49c w/ my vcore being at 1.825

Hehe, yeah i'll get a tornado tonight or something. OK, the voltage fluctuates a bit, but here's the read outs listed as their minimum and maximum voltages:

Vcore - 1.68-1.71
+3.3 - 3.29-3.34
+5 - 4.78-4.99
+12 - 12.73-12.80

Power supply, eh? Power supply and heatsink/fan combo. Ok, I'll get those tonight. If that's what it really is. Hehe, I should probably get them anyway.

oh yeah, you need a better power supply, your 3.3 shouldn't dip below 3.3, your 5v shouldn't go below 4.9, and your 12v shouldn't go above 12.2, infact, the fact that your 12v does go above 12.2 is a sure sign, might also be reason for overheating, it's struggling to hard, kinda like when your a/c is low on freon and it freezes up, not enough power overheats

looks like more money :(

OK, I'll get that then. Thanks, Molester, for your help. I'll recomend you to all my friends! Once I get the stuff and put it in, I'll post my updates and shtuff. Thanx again, man. It's people like you that keep people like me from getting drunk and smashing my computer with a hammer. ;)

hahaha, lost alot of electronics that way myself, oddly enough, fixed some that way too, what's even funnier, i've only been into computers for 4 months now, such easy machines to control as long as you know what each thing does, if i don't know it, i don't touch it, you're on the right track though, like me, if you don't know something, ask questions, ask lots and lots of questions

Back