• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD VS INTEl for video encoding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MooMasster716

Ok does anyone know if amd's are really better for video encoding on say flask mpeg ?? i got an intel but encode alot and am building a new system and want to know which is better?

nope, i think intel is faster, my computer is an intel 933mhz and it encodes with cinema craft faster than some AMD that runs at 1.2 or 1.3 Ghz. and it really depends on the setting and other factor too, i dun think it matter that much though, a couple min is all it's going faster :)

on the older chips, like p3s and thunderbirds, they encoded flask about the same, depending on the version you used. but the newer p4s tromp the xp athlons if i remember correctly, and dont think i say this out of loyalty for intel. im an amd fanboy. you would have to look for some benchmarks to confirm this but im almost posotive the p4s are a good deal better clock for clock

well, for most things you can say that clock for clock the p4 looses, but since the p4 will beat an athlonXP clock for clock encoding DivX (SSE2) (thats what i use Flask for) DEFINITLY get a P4 system cuz it's way faster, and btw, this hurts to say this cuz i'm an amd fanboy!

bigfoot said:
well, for most things you can say that clock for clock the p4 looses, but since the p4 will beat an athlonXP clock for clock encoding DivX (SSE2) (thats what i use Flask for) DEFINITLY get a P4 system cuz it's way faster, and btw, this hurts to say this cuz i'm an amd fanboy!
comparing clock for clock with amd and intel is pointless.

but yes intel is the better choice.

I've used both for video encoding and yes P4s are definitely faster, especially when you throw HT into the mix. But Athlon XPs can do an ok job if that's what you've got.

As an example, my P4 @3.3 w/ HT does about 28-33 fps converting animated sources to divx with bicubic resize, telecide, an some noise filtering. My Athlon 1800+ does about 12-13 fps on the same operation. Of course, both are much faster on cleaner, untelecined sources.

NookieN said:

As an example, my P4 @3.3 w/ HT does about 28-33 fps converting animated sources to divx with bicubic resize, telecide, an some noise filtering. My Athlon 1800+ does about 12-13 fps on the same operation. Of course, both are much faster on cleaner, untelecined sources.

i dont even know how u can compare them seeing the p4 is twice as fast by clock speeds

but anyway yeah the p4 with HT is faster :)

I have used both AMD and Intel machines for this type of job and I found the Intel to encode faster. Things get speeded up those chips having HT. :D

"Yeah Intel is much faster for en-coding in my experiences as well."
3000+ Britney > 3.0GHz Pentium 4
Not to mention that when you have multiple Britney CPUs, the memory bandwidth goes up(because each CPU has a built in 128 bit DDR controller, so you get 6.4GB/s(if you use DDR400) for each CPU).

Just wait till next month. Athlon64s are MADE for that stuff.

Video encoding is one of the major advances new AMD hammer CPU offers over Athlon XP.

http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

Only really expensive future Intel CPUs will even be able to compete with it as far as video encoding is concerned.

Steven4563 said:

i dont even know how u can compare them seeing the p4 is twice as fast by clock speeds

How can I not? My P4 is encoding about 2.2x faster than my Athlon. My P4's clock is about 2.2x faster than the Athlon. So that tells me they're doing about the same amount of work per cycle. In this case then, the CPU with the higher clock rate definitely wins out.

c627627 said:
Just wait till next month. Athlon64s are MADE for that stuff.

Video encoding is one of the major advances new AMD hammer CPU offers over Athlon XP.

http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

That link is just a roadmap, it doesn't say anything at all about the video encoding capabilities of the Athlon64.

Most of the video encoding benchmarks I've seen for the Opteron don't look all that impressive. I don't see how Athlon64 will be any better unless it runs a Ghz faster.

It seems AMD designed Athlon64/Opteron's to be better at working with large datasets in memory (i.e. databases, engineering simulations), not multimedia. The only major multimedia enchancement is SSE2, and by design those instructions favor chips with higher clock speeds.

Graphic67 said:
The Athlon 64 is the next generation CPU from AMD (related to the Opteron) and will have at least two packages: 754 pins (probably for the mobile market) and 940/939 pins for desktops and workstations (Opterons for multi-processor rigs and servers).

These chips WILL NOT work in any board designed for an Athlon XP with a 462 pin socket (Socket A).

Some of the advantages of the Opteron/Athlon 64 are:
  • Northbridge and memory controller on the CPU die for very fast memory access.
  • Hyper Transport high speed serial communication between other cpus, agp, and southbridge. Expect an easy conversion of hyper transport signals to PCI Express.
  • 64 bit processing, more registers, larger registers... All will be valuable performance enhancements when complemented by 64 bit operating systems and optimized compilers.
  • 64 bit addressing. Access to ONE TERABYTE of ram and 256TB of virtual memory. Compare to the 4GB limit of 32 bit cpus.
I am sure I left off some very important aspects, but this will do for a start.

In answer to your last question: Should [you] get one? That depends on how much you like being on the leading/bleeding edge of computing and what you use your computer for. If you want a high capacity web server, powerful 3D rendering system, or very fast video editing machine, then you will probably want one. If you are a gamer or general computer enthusiast, then you will probably still want one, but you will do fine to wait for a year.

That's just a quote from another post on this forum. There's no data in that thread showing that it will be especially good at video editing. I can find plenty of articles about Intel processors that contain the words "fast video editing machine"... which means nothing objectively.

I'm not saying Athlon64 won't be good at video editing and encoding. I'm saying no one really knows yet. I think it's misleading to tell people otherwise.

NookieN, I agree that not enough info was provided to argue the case of Athlon64 & video editing...yet.

I'll see if I can find Graphic67...

star882 said:
"Yeah Intel is much faster for en-coding in my experiences as well."
3000+ Britney > 3.0GHz Pentium 4
Not to mention that when you have multiple Britney CPUs, the memory bandwidth goes up(because each CPU has a built in 128 bit DDR controller, so you get 6.4GB/s(if you use DDR400) for each CPU).

You're the only person I've ever seen who talks about this "Britney" AMD processor, and you've not given any sort of real proof that such a thing exists. Britney's a really crappy singer, BTW ;)

Back