• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does RAM affect anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I saw a nice package for possible folding rigs or farms with an XP1800 and a mobo with everything built in. and it had both DDR and SDRAM slots on it.. I was wondering, if I used SD instead of DDR (to save a few bucks if possible) would I lose much performance if any? since folding uses the proc rather than RAM right?
and yes I know its only a couple $$ difference.. but 5 machines X few bucks = another proc or something..

It would probably affect it a little, but I doubt that you would notice it. I would go with the SDRAM and save yourself some money.

Yes processor is the main component that affects frame times, but memory does have an effect. Depending on the price difference i would go with DDR it should fold a little faster. But like i said all depends on price if you go with SD-RAM you may save enough money to build another box depending on how much memory you are rplanning on buying.

:)

Here's one thing to consider. If you buy 333 memory now, that is one less thing to buy when you upgrade to an XP3000 in the future. :D

Back