• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost alternative for Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markedmundb

I've tried several different versions of Ghost (Corp 7.5, 2001, 5.1c, I think 6. something as well) to make a 'quick restore' of my Linux disk at home and on various dev machines in the office, and none seem to want to play fair...

I've got an old version of Drive Image and work has got DI 2002(?), but haven't tried them yet.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that would work to do this (freeware or share/trialware prefered -If I can prove it works, I can try to get work to buy it).

TIA

I use DriveImage to make Images of my system on a hard drive. The linux version is PartImage. I have installed it and made a cd boot disk but never actually used it. Just find DriveImage does what I need. The real difference is that DI copies the whole partition and not just the data as it does in Windoze. Partimage only copies the data.

markedmundb

Go to HERE and check out MONDO RESCUE.

Mondo works great for me. Restores are fast and accurate.

You said something about using it at work. I have only used MONDO in a personal stand alone workstation environment. I don't know if it works over a network.

I reboot with the initlevel set to 3 and backup from a terminal window. It takes 2 CD-R discs to backup Red Hat 9. There is a switch to exclude directories, so I exclude my MP3 directory as it would take 6 or 7 discs just for that. I have my MP3s backed up elsewhere anyway. Backup for me takes between 20 to 30 minutes.

You can use it as command line, or a pseudo gui is also available.

I can vouch that restores are accurate and reliable.

Pudge

Back