• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOre Adventures in Shoehorning (PICS!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I just finished upgrading and downsizing my main rig and completed my first mod on this virgin case. Here's a before and after description before I jump headfirst into the details

Before
Athlon XP 1900+ AGOGA | AX-7 w\ YS Tech 48cfm 80mm + MSI KT3 Ultra2 + 256MB PC2700 RAM + 2 20GB HDDs + Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB DDR + 2 ducted 80mm fans + 430w PSU + Weight: 24 pounds + Dimensions: 19 x 21 x 7 + Noise level: 24Dba

After
Athlon XP 1900+ AGOGA | Speeze Falconrock 80mm HSF + Shuttle nforce2 IGP mATX motherboard + 2 sticks of 256MB PC2700 RAM + 40GB HDD + 2 60mm intakes + 1 80mm intake + 200w SFX PSU + Weight: 12 pounds + Dimensions: 13 x 14 x 5.6 + Noise level: 21Dba
4_compare.jpg

My old case could swallow the new one whole

before
0_d2.jpg

after
4_desk.jpg

Now that's progress

4_ingot1.jpg
4_ingot2.jpg

Very cozy. This case is so much fun to fiddle around with. There's a hidden handle under the front of the bezel, all of the aluminum is clear anodized to a reflective finish, and it's got comparatively good cooling for such a little enclosure.

Last edited:
4_ingot3.jpg
4_ingot4.jpg

I replaced all of the stock blue LEDs with 4 Red ones on a pulser circuit. I'll have an animated image for you to drool over soon.

Mods planned
1. Small window
2. 16x1 Character VFD in top 3.5" bay
3. Some fun with a UV cold cathode (I need a shorter bulb first)

My passively cooled Geforce 4 Ti4200 was feeling claustrophobic in this case so I'm anticipating my upgrade to a Geforce FX 5600.

Note: The lights on the front of the case CAN be turned off via a switch on the front panel thingy. This feature is stock. And this is where I bought it, in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
Fushyuguru said:
Please tell me you built the pulser on your own.
I didn't built the circuit. I'm a bit of a weenie when it comes to electronics so I ordered a surplus pulser circuit from 5fame for $19.
pic6.jpg

If you want to order one yourself you'll need to ask the folks at rabidhardware.net for 5fame's e-mail address.

I'll hopefully have enough time this week to work on a window and as soon as I have some results to show I'll post them.

All hail Ghetto duct!
4_duct.jpg

I made it out of a file folder and scotch tape last night and it lowered my idle CPU temp by 6C. I'll probably make a new version out of clear Acetate (transparency sheets).

:cry:
My new motherboard went crazy (RMAing it today) so I'm back to my old case, old hard drive, and old motherboard. I'll have to wait a while until I can upgrade again because I'm hoping to get a job colouring. A situation in which I need a stable machine more than a conveniently small yet fast one.

Back