• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux is #2 on microsofts most wanted list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, more and more countries are going with Open-Source solutions in their govt. instead of Microsoft software/OS. It's starting to cut into M$'s money flow enough for them to really notice now.

Linux is definitely out there and is cutting into MS'es server market share. But honestly, I don't see it cutting into the desktop marketshare in the near future. I like Linux and it works good for me but I will be the first to admit that the general computing public is not ready for it yet.

I agree with SickBoy 100%! MS is very user friendly, Linux requires some know-how. Know-how that the average person lacks and is not willing to attain.

Peace,

MooT

SickBoy said:
Linux is definitely out there and is cutting into MS'es server market share. But honestly, I don't see it cutting into the desktop marketshare in the near future. I like Linux and it works good for me but I will be the first to admit that the general computing public is not ready for it yet.

True. Personally, I think that Linux won't be something to consider on the desktop until at least some large OEMS offer it preinstalled for desktop systems. After all, how often does the average user install an operating system? For most people, probably never.

Probably the biggest strike against Linux at the moment is the lack of hardware support (that can be set up reasonably painlessly.)

"The general economic environment is risk and driver No. 1," he said. "Linux and non-commercial software is risk No. 2."

So, basically, Linux is the number one threat to MS. "General economic environment" isn't really a risk, since every company has to worry about that, I mean that's like a dog saying his number one risk is a dog catcher.

I wouldn't mind setting up a computer to run linux, I mean I certainly have heard all the stories, I just have never been too attracted to the *hard* that always seems to surround it.

But hey, if it's making MS upset, can't be too much of a bad idea, no?

*shifty eyes* my first post...

-yelizaveta

You won't see Linux hit the home user desktop for a while. You'll see it make inroads on other desktops, though. The corporate desktop being one. We already see it in the academic environment (many of the machines at my college were dual-boot, and that was in 1996-2000). You'll see it in areas where an administrator handles the computing fascilities. If you have someone administer it for you, its quite easy to use.

If Linux can get a hold of 10-20% of the [corporate] desktop, that is a big deal, and I'd imagine would be enough to get attention from hardware manuafacturers, major software vendors, etc.

Hopefully we will have some better choices in the future for desktop operating systems. Linux is already there for some, lets see how much more it can grow.

Yellie said:
I wouldn't mind setting up a computer to run linux, I mean I certainly have heard all the stories, I just have never been too attracted to the *hard* that always seems to surround it.

But hey, if it's making MS upset, can't be too much of a bad idea, no?

*shifty eyes* my first post...

-yelizaveta

WELCOME TO TEH FORAMS!!!!!!!11

Back