• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O crap CPU temp prob big time........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

well I bought a global win fan from millisec's website GlobalWin WBK38 Socket A/370 38CFM fan and they forgot to send me artic2 silver they sending it in mail they said anyways my dad gave me sum engine silicon that supposedly goes to 800degrees F and will last but i didnt put it over my chipset i wasn't sure if I can put it over the lil Purple chip on my CPU plz tell me if i can as i will i dont got artic 2 silver yet i got that engine silicon my dad says is same stuff as artic2silver my CHIP BURN'T A HOLE trough the lil red pad they give u with my heatsink today @ bios temps after gaming @ 51c 121f

Is that silicon sealant? A lot of that is used as gasket material and would be disastrous to your CPU, It would act as an insulator if that's the case, and wouldn't transfer any heat to the heat sink. Before I'd use something I wasn't sure of I'd go to the local RADIO SHACK and use their regular heat sink compound, set the computer up to the default settings and hold off on any major overclocking until I had the Arctic Silver.

i got some globalwin silicon thermal paste too. SO that will hurt my cpu?

So why do the computer stores sell and recommend this ****??
I have also gotten higher and higher temps lately.
Right now i got a fop38 fan that is now running at 52c loaded. Even raised a few c the last days. Before it was 47-48 full load:(

So is there a way to clean this **** off the core?

There is a big difference between silicone based heatsink grease and silicone based adhesive/sealer. The only common thing between them is that they both have some form of silicone in them, but their purpose in life is not related. Any white silicone heatsink grease will work for you until the Arctic Silver comes. Before you put the Arctic Silver on, make sure you really clean the CPU and heatsink base with a powerful degreaser. Make multiple passes on the cleaning, even after it looks clean. Flux remover, non-residue tuner cleaner or brake degreaser work well. Anhydrous Isopropanol isn't too bed, but still isn't as good as a good chloro-flourocarbon or hydro-flourocarbon based degreaser.

Hoot

DON'T use the engine silicone. That is most likely a silicone gasket material, and doesn't really have thermal conductive properties. use the crap from the 'Shack, or wait for the Artic Silver.

Yeah, bad call with the gasket goop.

Hey, while you're tweaking, perhaps you should fix the punctuation keys on your keyboard. Especially the PERIOD. Unless you don't really understand the use of punctuation; I know it's tough. Or are you truly too lazy to bother with it?

What exactly is 'Artic' Silver, anyway? The stuff I keep seeing is spelled 'Arctic'. DUH.

Back