• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS to protect router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nymph

I just moved to orlando 4 days ago, and already think that a lightning strike may have fried my router.... I am looking around for a UPS around 120 bucks that will protect my router, thus protecting the other PC's on my netowrk...

I found this and am wondering if it is what I need to protect my router? Its says it has an rj-45 jack, but does that mean I go from my cable modem to the UPS and from the UPS to my router?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this ASAP. Thanks!

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/doc/744874.html

nYmph

Although APC's site no longer lists it, there did used to be a 280W member of the BackUPS Pro line. They do have network line filtering, I have the 650 version:

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=27&tab=models

If you are just looking to filter the network line this is a good way to do it (if a bit pricey), if you are looking for UPS capacity as well understand the the 280 is really weak. The extra money larger units cost is worth it if you plan to hook much more than the router to it, and if you want the monitor on it definitely get something larger.

Newegg has the 420W version for $168, and you can see the RJ45 jack on the back in the pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=42-101-112

Last edited:
hmmm... thinking about this more and more, I think I should be ok with a heavy duty surge supressor. I dont really need the UPS function. Just as long as my stuff doesnt get fried. I would think that if a lightning bolt hit close enough to my house the AVR in the UPS wouldn't really help anyway.

I think if I could get a surge suppressor that is at least 2000 joules and has an ethernet connector for my router as well my needs would be filled. But I have been unable to find this. I have found seperate ethernet suppressors like this :

http://www.technodumpster.com/Catalog/ditek_network_surge_suppressor_1164311.htm

would this be what I need? and then get a seperate AC surge suppressor, or do they make them combined with at least 2000 joules?

Thanks!

nYmph

Last edited:
Tripp Lite makes a unit rated for 3690 Joules, and has RJ11 (phone), coax (cable TV), and RJ45 connectors.

TLP810NET%2Ejpg

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=144

And it's availabe for as little as $16.82 online:

http://tripplite.links.channelintelligence.com/pages/prices.asp?sSKU=TLP810NET

A good UPS is always a good idea, and your original idea of the BackUPS Pro is my favorite. They are not AVR units, rather being the preferrable line-interactive topology. I just don't think the 280VA model has enough capacity for any substantial load. You could hook your modem, router, alarm clock, phone, answering machine to it but for serious computer hardware I think the cost of the 420 or 650VA models is money well spent. I paid over $230 for the 650VA model and have never regretted the purchase (although admittedly not having to reset clocks, answering machines, or worry about the alarm clock going off in the morning is a large part of that satisfaction).

You are very smart to filter the RJ45, as this and the phone line are the only way computers ever get damaged though power disturbances. I run out of my DSL modem through the BackUPS Pro on the way to the router, you have no lightning protection without it. Whether you go with the surge supressor, the $109 BUPS Pro 280, or ante for the 420 or 650VA versions you are far ahead of the game for having considered this usually overlooked aspect of computing.

Thank you very much for the information. It helped me to make up my mind on the triplite. That is a very good deal and it has exactly what i'm looking for. I see it has coax cable adapters as well. Maybe I can run my internet cable through this as well and protect my cable modem too?....

As long as the product does what it is rated for, than I should be all set for my needs. I've read many of your posts since I became a member and appreciate your help, Larva!

nYmph

You should be able to run the cable through it in theory, but you need to try it and make sure it doen't mess with the cable modem's signal integrity. I think it should be fine. That's a pretty nice value for less than 20 bucks, too bad newegg doesn't carry it. I haven't dealt with any of the cheap guys on that list.

Yeah, I was thinking that using the cable adapter might degrade my signal a bit, but I shall soon find out, and post my results...

I ordered it from provantage because they have a good reseller rating, but, we'll see what happens...

nYmph

Welcome to Florida, The Lightning Capital of THE WORLD. I work for Brighthouse and all I've been doing for the past 3 months is replacing NIC's and modems due to lightning strikes. The MAJORITY of customer's computers were turned off and hooked up to surge protectors. NOTHING short of unplugging EVERYTHING connected to your computer INCLUDING the cable going to the cable modem is going to stop an electrical surge from a lightning strike or power bump.

If you depend on your computer running during lightning storms I highly suggest you invest in FP&L's insurance plan. Homeowners insurance usually have high deductibles and I have YET to see someone collect from a surge protector's guarantee. If someone has actually collected money from a manufacturer who guarantees their surge protectors, please post here.

Now with that being said, I still recommend a good surge protector as they are better than nothing and can prevent damage from lesser spikes, not to mention the line conditioning benefits. If you get a cheapie unit and plan on running the cable through it, there is a very good chance that it is going to affect your reverse signal, either reducing it significantly or not passing it through at all. The bandwidth for the cable surge suppression needs to be from 5 Mhz to at least 750 Mhz.

If you're a Brighthouse cust. and you'd like me to look up your modem signal level once you put it through your surge protector to see if it's affecting it, PM me and I'll be happy to oblige ya.

It does merit mentioning that a truly good lightning strike will kill what you put in front of it. If you've got enough potential to jump miles from clouds to earth, you obviously have enough to barbeque a surge protector. But nonetheless you must filter RJ11 an RJ45 lines as they are the only common entry points for destructive power events and will be damaged by even minor events without some kind of protection.

Back