• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surge Protectors, Extension?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

I want to move my computer. I can only find surge protectors with a 6ft. or 8ft. cord, and I need like double that. Is it safe to put the surge protector on an extension cord?

Right now I have a 6 ft. surge protector with the computer, router, printer, monitor, and a fan plugged in. Everything except the modem, which is plugged into the same outlet as the surge protector. I'll be getting a bigger surge protector that can fit the modem too. The one that fits more than one of those bigger plugs like the modem and router have. I just want everything safe, protected, and definitely no fires. :)

I would only recommend using a power extension that is grounded, without grounding it hinders the protection capabilities some.

(those workshop industrial grade orange extensions come to mind)

home depot has a 15 ft black extension cord that is exactly like the orange type extension cords. i have no problems putting a surge protector on it.

Thanks, guys. I'll go for a grounded extension cord. I know it seemed like a silly question, but I wanted to make sure.
My Canon printer manual says not to plug it into an extension cord or surge protector, just the wall outlet. So, I was worried about plugging everything in that way.(Even though I plug the printer in the surge protector anyway)

nahmus, what do you mean get a new power cord, you mean for my PSU???

:)

sorry i meant extention cord. Sometimes i'm very dumb:D

You would not believe how many times I see a surge protector plugged into one of those little brown or white extention cords that you get from 7-11 or supermarket.

Oh okay, :)

Yah, I never use those little cheapie extension cords. I only have one extension cord at the moment, and it's a good one from Lowes.

Back