• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum length of RCA Video cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T20

Hey guys, I got a sattelite box, and have a regular coax cable, runing into the basement, which connects the SAT box, to my TV in the basement. Nedless to say, quality is well beyond disgusting. I cannot move the SAT box, since it is connected to my hdtv plasma, however, I am thinking of running RCA cables from SAT box to my TV in the basement. The length I need is about 15 meters, obviously those are not sold in most places, but it is pretty easy to make your own.

Anyways, the question is will the signal detoriate a lot if I run a 15 meter RCA cable from SAT box to TV?

Thnx :D

Depending on the quality of the cable, I think it will deteriorate the signal no matter what you use over that long a run. My suggestion would be to invest in one of those audio/video signal transmitter units, but you may get at least acceptable video quality using high grade RG-6 wire used for satellite installation - Radio Shack should have some adapters to go from the standard F connector on the RG-6 cable to RCA.

Over that long a run, you'll need well shielded wire for sure, and I'm not sure you'd want to invest in something better than RG-6 since you might be looking at the cost of one of them video repeaters anyway ;)

Hope I've helped a little - I've never actually tried anything with composite video over that kind of distance so I don't know for sure how good it'll be with RG-6. Take my advice with a grain of salt ;)

Back