• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a quality black psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tyson-chris

hey guys,

i'm currently running the system in sig below with an Antec TruBlue 480w (TruePower 480 with Blue LED fans). my case is black, and all my optical drives/periphs/kb/mouse/monitor is either sweet black or metallic grey/silver, and so match.
my case has a side panel window with 2xUV (black light) cold cathodes and 2xUV LED vantec spectrum case fans. now, this all looks alright with the trueblue psu, but the ugly beige colour of the psu is the only thing that i feel is detracting from the jet black look of the system.

therefore, i'm wondering if you guys have any good recommendations for black cased psus? i know the vantec stealth psus are black aluminum, but i've read a lot about these psus and their somewhat unreliable/hit-and-miss nature. anyone else have some suggestions for me? or other opinions about these vantec psus?

thanks guys

I think I'd be spray painting the case of the Antec power supply. It's about the best one, so if color is the only problem change it.

Zalman makes a 400 Watt Black PSU that is also very quiet. I think it runs around $90.00. (Larva's suggestion is the best option, just be careful spray painting it)

I have an Antec Sonata case and replaced the PS with a AGPB-P4ATX48MS 2F 480W RT PS from NewEgg. It is totally Chrome and is just beautiful in that case! It is so chrome that reflecting the black makes it look black too.

spray-painting, yikes! that sounds easy, but seems like it would be harder than it sounds. it would also probably void the warranty no? i don't mind selling the trueblue and buying another one, as i'm sure i could easily get a buyer for such a high quality psu.

re the zalman - how are zalman psu's? they're somewhat of a newcomer, and i've really only read reviews of their silent cooling solutions.

doodah, what company makes that psu? how's the purity of the lines? i've usually stuck with the antec truepower psus because of the seperate lines for 3.3,5 and 12v. the trueblue actually is more of a silver/grey colour than beige, so although chrome would be nice and shiny, i think i'll stick with black, or what i have now.

star, are those available in canada? i haven't seen any anywhere unfortunately.. i hear they're expensive as hell...

thanks guys

Last edited:
The Zalman is just a rubbed-on Fortron 400W unit. While certainly a good power supply, the TP480 is better. I myself don't know what looks the best until I know what works the best, and the TP480 works better. I view it as that we are not making a painting, but a computer. But if you see it differently you ought learn to paint :)

That pc power and cooling supply looks sick. All sleeved and everything too. to bad it says call for price. One can only guess what rediculous price they are asking for it if they wont even list the cost.

To bad 99% of thier product line there is no kill switch built on the power supply otherwise id give a cheaper model a try.

To bad 99% of thier product line there is no kill switch built on the power supply otherwise id give a cheaper model a try.

PC P&C will put a switch on the back for you if that is what you want. It really is no different than pulling the plug. They can add external pot adjustments as well.

Yes they would, at a cost. The thing is, why pay extra money to have something so basic and 3/4 of the powersupplys out there already have. Is it really neccessary to cut the costs so much they cant put on a 10 cent switch.

The product is considered premium, saying just yank the plug out instead is the worst excuse ive ever heard for not having one. There was a roundup posted that reviewed a good 40 power supplys. They were the most expensive of the lot, the only one without a kill switch, and the loudest.

Im not saying they are junk, but there is alot of hype of them and together with the reviews, cost and features ive yet to see it live up to that hype.

you sure as heck wouldnt want to spend a silly amount of money on a stereo and have them say oh no power switch just yank the plug. No worrys tho if you pay us more we will slap one on there for ya.

Last edited:
"To bad 99% of thier product line there is no kill switch built on the power supply otherwise id give a cheaper model a try."
It's probably to reduce the tech support calls like "My PSU doesn't work" and "I installed one of your PSUs in my PC, and it doesn't work now.":)
The Dell PSUs don't have a power switch, either(again, it's to reduce the number of tech support calls).
"They can add external pot adjustments as well."
Well, then PC Power & Cooling will be the ultimate PSU for sure.

Now, will they install high powered Delta fans on request?

Giblet Plus! said:
Quit being a pansy. Rip apart your Antec and paint the casing with some black automotive paint.

I was thinking about painting mine too, but when I take it apart I cant remove the chip because it has a wire soldered to the input for the power cord. Is there any way to remove the casing from the psu that I am not aware of? BTW I am using a Raidmax 420

Freezermug said:
Yes they would, at a cost. The thing is, why pay extra money to have something so basic and 3/4 of the powersupplys out there already have. Is it really neccessary to cut the costs so much they cant put on a 10 cent switch.

Ferrari Enzos dont have a Stereo in them. Why? Because its a PREFORMANCE car. These are preformance PSUs (except they are more reliable that Ferrari's) and look just a nice.

Back