• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20c diff between idle and load (P4 2.4ghz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coolcpu2

Registered
Hello there, I have been reading these forums recently and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice concerning this problem of mine: My idle temp varies between 38-44c depending on ambient temp, but the problem is that with full load, playing Everquest in the bazaar (graphically intense), the cpu goes up as much as 20 celsius (highest I've seen was 64c), and the fan speed goes from like mid 3k rpm to like 4800rpm. This does not seem like it should be the case. What I would like to do is lower those full load temps 5-10c. I'm using the fan and heatsink that came with this cpu, and my only exhaust fan is a dual fan psu. I have no intake fan. I don't see how this is the problem though, as when idle there does not seem to be a big heat problem. I ordered some ceramique and am hoping this will help the problem. I've never installed thermal grease so I'm hoping I don't mess anything up. I'd like some advice on one or two things I can do to lower the temps, especially the full load temps 5-10 celsius (or more but that may be wishful thinking). Thanks for any help.

Well a new heatsink and fan will help you with some good thermal paste, and you need some more case fans! Until you do those things open up the side of your case and you will see a big differance in temps.

Thanks for the response. What heatsink and fan would you recommend? (and which doesn't sound like an airplane flying in my room) The one time I did try to install an additional fan, I saw no improvement with the temps.

I would say go with a Swiftech MCX4000 with a Smart Fan 2. I use this setup and it works great. But the total for all that will be around $50-$55. If that is too much for you and you don't plan on OC'ing too much....then I would go with a Thermaltake Spark 7....it is about $20-$25 dollars and comes with a decent fan. Just my opinion.

Oh, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I installed 2 more exhaust fans, one below the psu, and one in the lower front. Yeah, I know, this should be an intake fan, but this is the only way it can be installed because the wires won't reach long enough to turn it around to be an intake fan and yet still plug into my motherboard.

Perhaps there's a slight lowering of temperature, but this still doesn't account for the large change betwen idle and load times.

Right now Sandra is showing 58c cpu (I have everquest running in the bazaar). I bought this computer, so I didn't install the thermal pad and heatsink. Does anyone think that perhaps it wasn't installed properly? Would that account for a 20c change between idle and load? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I just ran Sandra's burn in, I let it run 47 times and then the cpu temp reached 64c. So, I don't think the fans I installed are doing very much good. What I'd like are suggestions on one or two things I can do to lower these temps, and hopefully get a max load cpu temp of 55c or lower.

I'm looking for low cost solutions, and something which people have by experience seen cpu temps lower significantly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for the fan suggestion NcBaller1985. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

I know my work comp (compaq) runs hot when I'm running the Folding app. The temps are 38C idle, 59C load. However, my server at home runs 30C idle, 35C load. The difference is the wrok comp is a unmodded Compaq and my home comp has a Swiftech MCX4000 with a 92mm Tornado at 7v. If you are on a budget, I would suggest you look at the vantec VP4-C7040. Its relatively quiet and cools very well. Make sure you use AS3 or AS Ceramique. Also, get a fan connection extension and run the lower fan as an intake, this will help your internal case cooling which in turn will help you lower your cpu temps.

I highly recommend a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu or CNPS7000-Cu.
I use the CNPS7000-AlCu because I was concerned about future oxidation of copper, and it's lighter as well.
I had a Swiftech MCX4000 with a stealth fan before I got the Zalman and now my temperatures are much better. I was getting very high CPU temperature reports with the MCX4000 on my Asus board, but the Zalman leaves me with no worries.
Swiftech would read around 160 F at prolonged load while the Zalman tops out at 138 F. Both are silent, but the Zalman obviously works much better.
These temps might be reported high by my Asus board, there is some record of such behaviour, but the difference remains conclusive.

What does everyone think of the Vantec VP4-C7040? I am looking for something that's not very loud. So basically I'm looking for cheap, effective, and quiet. Good luck to me on that right? heheh

PatrickBateman said:
I had a Swiftech MCX4000 with a stealth fan before I got the Zalman and now my temperatures are much better. I was getting very high CPU temperature reports with the MCX4000 on my Asus board, but the Zalman leaves me with no worries.
Swiftech would read around 160 F at prolonged load while the Zalman tops out at 138 F. Both are silent, but the Zalman obviously works much better.

Sounds to me like you installed the MCX4000 wrong because I have no problems with it. It is easy to not install this heatsink correctly. It is a pain in the a$$, but once you get it right it is an awsome heatsink. Just read some reviews on it. Gets outstanding marks on a lot of sites. But I definatly think Swiftech needs to do something about there mounting. I personally don't even use the screws it comes with. I went to Lowes and got some screws and bolts. It was a lot easier to mount and a WHOLE lot less hassel. I love my MCX4000 and it has outperformed all the other heatsinks I have tried. Just my opinion though! :)

Back