• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7 volt a high RPM, or get a low RPM???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tical

In terms of noise & performance, do you guys think it's better to buy a high RPM rad fan & 7 volt it, or just buy a low RPM? Mmmmmm very philosophical. It's okay, don't be afraid, share your feelings with the group.

I prefer a very high CFM fan, and then either add a 7v switch or a rheostat. This way, you can fine tune your performance/noise levels, and get extreme performance at a touch of a button (or knob) for higher overclocking.

Stedeman said:
My theory; "Why 7V it? Just find the right fan in the first places"

Cos no fans are quiet enough for the persons needs. eg for me. i have my cheap 120mm radiator fan on 4v..... i challenge you to find a standard 120mm 12v fan that will be as quiet as that.

But whats the CFM now? If you want it quiet look into better fans or larger ones. To me its like buying a sports car and putting geo 3cyl motor in it to save gas?!?! Seems foolish to me, I do understand the point of a rheostat for finding the right balance or on/offs. It makes more sense to me that you should start in the right spot before you just say get me the most powerful fan so I can slice its power in half.

Stedeman said:
But whats the CFM now? If you want it quiet look into better fans or larger ones. To me its like buying a sports car and putting geo 3cyl motor in it to save gas?!?! Seems foolish to me, I do understand the point of a rheostat for finding the right balance or on/offs. It makes more sense to me that you should start in the right spot before you just say get me the most powerful fan so I can slice its power in half.
i agree. if you want low noise get a panaflo or pabst. they are a little more expensive but better quality and still not as expensive as a rheo.

This is not a "Hey guys, what should I get??" thread. I have my rig. :D I'm just curious as to peoples opinion.

Example-

If you have a 120CFM @ 45dba & 7 volt it, would it be more/less cfm & more/less dba than a 70CFM @ 30 dba?

Stedeman said:

What if your not after a high powered sportscar with a big engine though?

i want an extremely low noise fan that only has to shift a few cfm. papst or panaflow dont even produce products that are quiet enough for me. What am i to do now?

You say i should just start in the right spot, maybe you can recommend me a fan that has a noise output equivalent of a 4v'd 120mm evercool - and im not after high cfm. If you actually look, i'd say to you that such a stock fan does not exist. so you'll see that the only option is a rheo to tune down even further an existing already low cfm fan.

Back