Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

ax-7 + which fan = cooler cpu?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 09:36 PM Thread Starter   #1
asuh
Registered

ax-7 + which fan = cooler cpu?

I live in Texas. The temp in the room in which I live is around 75 degrees constantly. Not too shabby. I have an exhaust and intake as well as antec PSU with fans. That is my airflow.

My CPU (xp1600+) cooling is an AX-7 with an 80mm Sunon that's 29cfm. With this setup, my idle temp is constantly around 55C and I would like to decrease this by no less than 10C.

I would like to not buy another HS but rather the fan. I am interested in the power of a Vantec tornado but not the noise. Obviously, the noise will have to be considered in my upgrade and I can probably live with a little more noise on my computer but it'd be nice to have some nice cooling as well.

Am I forgetting any info? Please help!!

1GB Mushkin PC3500 BH-5
120GB WD 8MB SE
asuh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-03, 09:56 PM   #2
cherryp00t

smart fan 2 is the way to go =d can be almost as powerful as a vantec torando if you turn that sucker all the way up or quiet if you turn it down =d has adjust fan speeds already on the fan =d
cherryp00t is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-08-03, 12:15 AM   #3
Deadphishy

i second that. it's The best all around fan. although it is a Little brittle. just don't jab your finger in it and you'll be fine.

4X4GB Kingston ddr1600
4850 1GB with Zalemen VF770 cooler
120GB Vertex 3 SSD.
1TB NAS
Corsair GB600
Case = Wall

My forever belongs to you MCM- (Now MCD)
Deadphishy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-08-03, 01:11 AM Thread Starter   #4
asuh
Registered

well, i have considered the smart fan earlier but hadn't sought out an opinion. Maybe I'll give it a try. Where should I buy it? I've seen it for as low as $11 from buyxtremegear.com.

1GB Mushkin PC3500 BH-5
120GB WD 8MB SE
Old 08-08-03, 02:05 AM   #5
Flanagun

I do have an Ax-7 with a 92mm tornado. It's not that loud if you run it at 7v. It still pushes alot of air too.

Old 08-08-03, 02:14 AM   #6
nerdlogic

At 7V, the 92mm Tornado will not perform as well as a Smart Fan II at full speed. I'd have to say the Smart Fan II as well. SVC.com has them for $9.99.
  QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-08-03, 05:13 AM   #7
dawp

10 Year Badge

fry,s carries them,thats where i got mine.a little more expensivebut no waiting or shipping charges

Corsair dominator 8500 4g
250 gb seagate hdd
Corsair 750 psu
XFX 6800gt 256
dawp is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-03, 09:36 PM Thread Starter   #8
asuh
Registered

I bought the Smart Case Fan II and connected it to my AX-7 HS. To my DISMAY, my temperatures are still in the 50s! I am shocked. In fact, here's what the results are:

AX-7 w/Sunon = 55 degrees C
AX-7 w/Smart Fan = 50 degrees C

So, I think I'm bright enough to figure out what might be the problem. Air flow in the case? I have two exhausts, one from the PSU and one on the back of the case. Any intakes? Not really. I have one fan sitting in the front of the case blowing towards the back but it really can't be picking up any air because there aren't too many holes in the front.

So, with these exhausts that I have, no decrease in temp more than 5C. Is there another problem I'm not seeing?

1GB Mushkin PC3500 BH-5
120GB WD 8MB SE

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool