• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone having problems with teir BD7 or abit 478 boards in general?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beezle

Registered
Greetings to everyone. I am a long time user of Abit boards, not only for the overclocking abilities but all the great features, versatility, softmenu, and easy setup. Recently, my pc went down. (Literally, one minute it was running, next minute monitor was blinking yellow). The error indicator on the board was reading 00.

I'll cut to the chase...after swapping hardware components and narrowing the problem down to either the motherboard or cpu, I went with a mobo warranty replacement first. PC booted up fine with the replacement.

So here's my question. This board was only a little over a year old. What the heck is that about???

I also talked to a tech guy at a local store who was saying that he gets a lot of pc's with bad Abit boards these days. Is that because there are a lot of new o/c's screwing up, or is that newer boards aren't as good quality as the BX boards used to be.

I don't know if I want to trust these boards anymore. However, the alternative (Soyo) makes me laugh. Asus makes some decent boards, but i'll keep the topic limited to Abit boards. So what is the consensus on the longevity of the Abit boards, and in particular, the socket 478 boards? I know the BX boards were generally rock solid...my BF6 and BX6 are still going strong.

Note the following:
1) I was NOT overclocking this one...it's my business pc. (I have another pc that I overclock the hell out of which really makes this situation ironic)

2 ) System Config:

Abit BD7 board
1.6 Ghz
256 PNY DDR
40 GB HD
Vistiontek Xtasy Everything
3COM Lan Card

3) I had not made any Hardware changes/adjustments, or the like (or any software changes) preceding the demise of my BD7 board.

Back