• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best O/C proggies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

train22

Recently upgraded my cpu and am looking for intense burning programs for my entire system. Thought I'd see what you guys use.

All avaliable via freshmeat:
stress: Does mem alloc at any given size and number of threads. Also does I/O and HDD. Simple application seems very good. Oh yeah, also does cpu but i don't use this proggie for cpu. overall, very good, I use it for hdd, io, and mem.

cpuburn: a theoritical program, it is the best to test your cpu. It simply fills all cpu cache with work, which will work the cpu more than any possible program(s) can.

dnetc: Distributed.net client, i use it for rc5, not for burning really but it's on 24/7 to eat up spare cpu cycles.

Of course, remember to always run 1 test at a time. For example, running stress for mem and cpuburn for cpu at the same time is silly because resources are shared and the kernel prempts the processes.

I've tried a few more but these are the ones I now use. Any other O/C proggies comments can go here. (lm_sensors, nv_clock, etc, if you have questions/comments, feel free)

can always try sisoft sandra's burn in routine.. i dont know whether its cpu only or entire system burn in but its worth a shot.

also , i once read a great way to stress the entire system is to run a few benchies and a defrag at the same time. ive found that running:

1 instance of prime95
(might tweak/play with how much memory its alloted),
1 online virus scanner tool of any sort,
1 media player (yes i run windoze) video file,
1 ad-aware or spybot
1 disk defrag
and using system tools to do a disk cleanup while surfing the web
will bring any system to its knees that has any weaknesses.

granted this isnt scientific in any way but it seems to work for me
to show me any areas that need improvement. (memory, cpu)

if you dont want to go that route, just try running two cpu maximizing proggies at the same time. If you can stably,
you're all good

oh yeah

FOLD!

I tried Prime95 once, I ran it for 2 days straight, no errors all calcs were perect. Then I tried burnK7 and after 2 hours it crashed. Yes burnK7 (cpuburn) strains the cpu in a way no program ever will but I don't like my overclocking to be exactly on the edge so that I can compensate when I need to. For example, if it's 40°C outside one day and I happen to be on the cutting edge preformance, my system is likely to crash. For this reason I always like cpuburn as my cpu killer =)

I recently customized a Knoppix 3.2 Live CD. It includes:

folding@home
seti@home
prime-net
memtrest
cpuburn
lucifer

I may add stress to it also in the near future....

Back