• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a bad chip fry a board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rutkus

I was just curious to whether or not a chipped core on a xp2100+ has the ablility to render a motherboard useless? I ask because i think i may have just fried both my boards with one chip...I am so angry that i don't even want to troubleshoot anymore tonight..... :mad: :mad:

I don't think so.

Power supply can for sure.

If you have a cheapo PSU, it'll take out the rest of your components sooner or later.

ok, now that i am a bit cooled down, here is what happened, I have 2 boards, one epox 8rda+ and one gigabyte 7vaxp, and 2 2100+ chips, i put both in to different boards, when i put the one chip in it, it seemed to kill the board, i get the damn FF on startup of the board, no video, no nothing, clearing cmos did nothing,

on the other board, it worked fine, i picked up the chip from the board that wasn't working and i cleaned it up, i noticed that it was a small little chip on the core, so i put it in on the board that was working perfectly fine, now i get nothing, no video, just black screen, when i put the non chipped xp2100+ in the boards, i get NOTHING, i hae fortron psu's that i used for the setups, and i still get nothing.

all "high quality" parts, corsair ram, asus video, audigy sound, fortron psu, man i am so angry that I am ill, i'm going to bed, if anyone has ANY suggestions, please share, i was looking forward to spending my weekend working on my computers, looks like i'll have to wait another couple weeks.....

OK. You chipped the CPU core. That's a separate prob.

Use the good chip to find out what's going on with the two boards. Walk away and let everything cool down. We've all been there. Once that cycle starts, it's just one thing after another. I've read many posts where people managed to get things working after walking away and letting everything cool down....

Make sure the basics are taken care of in the morning, that you didn't forget to put the CMOS jumper back where it should be, things like that.

If the mobos won't boot with the good chip at cleared CMOS default settings, something else is wrong, spend 15 minutes making sure RAM, PCI cards, everything is seated correctly...

Good luck and add the PSU brand and specs to your sig, it's very important.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

found the problem, i didn't realize i had conductive thermal paste..... fixed up and running, thanks for your help. what a relief and a frustration.

lol, i got so mad last night that i took out the "cracked" core one and took a hammer to it, oh well, atleast now i know for sure it doesn't work now. for all i know that chip might have been operational.

ugh i feel stupid but, i felt better venting on that damn chip heh.

lol you mean AS3?? i onec got some as3 on the socket of my board.. i got nothing i was so annoyed =d then i realized silver marks on the board.. clean that up and cleaned up my chip and everything worked fine =d go figure ;d def lesson well learned

Back