• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops: Dell vs. Compaq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thef0x82

Okay, so I was looking at laptops... cheap ones. Price range $700-$900. Dell and Compaq have equivalent models for very close prices. It's the Dell Inspiron 1100 slightly customized versus the Compaq 2100z also slightly customized. The biggest difference is that the Compaq has an ATI 7000 mobility, where the Dell has Intel Extreme graphics.

I'm willing to sacrifice the graphics for greater dependability if the Dell would be a wiser purchase.

What does everyone else think?

I personally would choose the Dell simply because they send out an actual cd with the install of the OS instead of an image disk. The Dell's, IMO, are a better built pc or laptop for the money. I have worked on several Compaq's and couldnt stand working on the because they are too proprietary vs. Dell. As far as graphics, unless you plan on doing a lot of gaming on a laptop then the onboard intel graphics should be just fine.

Tread

The compaqs are shipping now with an XP CD, as well as image disks. These are nice cause you can format and reinstall just XP instead of fighting with all the built-in crap on the comp. I have seen many happy compaq customers. The other big plus on Compaq is that you can buy retail and get local service.

I don't have a laptop in that range, but I have good things to say about Dells. I just got an Inspiron 8500 and its a great machine. Dell's tech support is sometimes lacking, but over the years I have had 3 Dell desktops, 1 Dell laptop, and a Dell PDA, and none of them have problems.

I believe the Inspiron 5100 is the model that is similar to the 1100 that comes with a non-integrated video card.

Anyways, I would say to go with the Dell for a laptop. It's worth it just for the warranty.

Back